My 20 gallon tank thread with pictures

lletellier

clever with the legs there

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might as well ask this now so I know ahead of time, what should my lighting schedule be with this fixture?? I have a 150w halide and 2 65w actinics over a 20 gallon tank. I was under the impression that I should run them separately ex: 3 hours of actinics 3 hours halides 3 hours actincs = 9 hours total, then led if I choose. Also moon lights have no effect on coral growth correct??

still looking for someone to drill :) Dan??

got my tunze skimmer and my UV in the mail today! just like christmas except I got what I wanted :) I will post pics tomorrow! Realized today that with this skimmer I will need to baffle my sump for sure so that is one of the last things I need to do before I get everything hooked up!

got my tunze skimmer and my UV in the mail today! just like christmas except I got what I wanted :) I will post pics tomorrow! Realized today that with this skimmer I will need to baffle my sump for sure so that is one of the last things I need to do before I get everything hooked up!

are you telling me that Santa got your list mixed up with someone else's?

no i mean I ordered my presents straight from the shop :)

small update, Dan is going to baffle my sump for me and he told me that dshifler drills tanks so i'm going to get in touch with him to see if I can go that route. I like an overflow box but space is rapidly becoming an issue so the more I can conserve the better. I will get pictures of everything this weekend.

no i mean I ordered my presents straight from the shop :)

small update, Dan is going to baffle my sump for me and he told me that dshifler drills tanks so i'm going to get in touch with him to see if I can go that route. I like an overflow box but space is rapidly becoming an issue so the more I can conserve the better. I will get pictures of everything this weekend.

Why not go with an external overflow? Not too difficult to build.

wasaga I like your idea i'll see what I can do after I get the tank drilled... that would solve my problem of too much water flowing to the sump if the power goes out

Why not go with an external overflow? Not too difficult to build.

If your offering... but as for me, no tools, no skills with tools... thats why. I've seen your thread... If I could do that I'd do everything myself, really nice work.

If your offering... but as for me, no tools, no skills with tools... thats why. I've seen your thread... If I could do that I'd do everything myself, really nice work.

It really isn't that difficult to do, do you own a dremel?

Edited by dhogan

I was trying to remember where I saw the tank with the external overflow. It wad Dhogan's tank. Its a nice idea and would save room in your tank. The only problem I could see is, it has more seams to leak from. It shouldn't be a problem if you know what you're doing when you silicone everything together. Thats the chance you have to take. I would rather have the overflow on the inside of the tank and let the bulkhead do the sealing. The overflow doesn't have to be big at all. It can be about the size of a cassette tape case. The only thing you need it to do is surface skim and keep your tank from back feeding to the sump. The only other thing I thought of is the drain. If you don't have a standpipe of some kind, it can get noisy. You need to design your overflow to allow enough room to add something if you need it.

I found out that david (dschifler) drills tanks for people and sells the bulkheads so i'm going to take my tank there this week. Dan is doing my sump baffles this week (he new tank is amazing go see it) so hopefully i'll be ready to do the plumbing next weekend and start the tank up next week.

Wasaga I really liked your idea of the small box in the corner so once i get the tank drill I think that is what i'm going to do. That way I won't have too much overflow to my sump which is a big factor for me since my sump is only 10 gal and my water level will be higher. What is a standpipe?? Noise is a big issue.

still havn't heard back from my question about the lights... what times to run what.

I found out that david (dschifler) drills tanks for people and sells the bulkheads so i'm going to take my tank there this week. Dan is doing my sump baffles this week (he new tank is amazing go see it) so hopefully i'll be ready to do the plumbing next weekend and start the tank up next week.

Wasaga I really liked your idea of the small box in the corner so once i get the tank drill I think that is what i'm going to do. That way I won't have too much overflow to my sump which is a big factor for me since my sump is only 10 gal and my water level will be higher. What is a standpipe?? Noise is a big issue.

still havn't heard back from my question about the lights... what times to run what.

Check out my build thread, I use a Durso standpipe in my overlow to keep noise down, there are many different variations of it, mine seems to work pretty good.

As far as the lights... I would run the MH for 6 hours. I never had MH on that small of a tank but on my other tanks I ran them for 6 hours with the actinics coming on first then halides. The halides shut off first with the actinics shutting off in pairs to simulate sunset. My LED lights stay on 24/7. My total light period lasts for 12 hours.

I see how you used the durso standpipe on the external overflow, how would I do that if I drill?? still a little confused as to how it works.

I see how you used the durso standpipe on the external overflow, how would I do that if I drill?? still a little confused as to how it works.

That's a disadavantage to the internal overflow, but you could probably do something similar. Maybe have the t part (air tubing) on the outside of the tank. Not sure how this would work though, I'd do a search on RC.

That's a disadavantage to the internal overflow, but you could probably do something similar. Maybe have the t part (air tubing) on the outside of the tank. Not sure how this would work though, I'd do a search on RC.

any luck?? I think the box in the corner of the tank is going to be my best bet.. or I may just do a 90 elbow, that would work right??

any luck?? I think the box in the corner of the tank is going to be my best bet.. or I may just do a 90 elbow, that would work right??

I think you could still use the method I have, the T part would be outside, and the downward elbow would be inside, don't know if that makes sense. I looked briefly, but did not see anyhting like what you are doing. All the internal overflows i saw were taking up top to bottom.

taking up top to bottom?? not sure if I follow... I think with my small return (only 600 gph) if I do a large bulkhead I don't think I will have any problems with noise

Any other suggestions welcome

Lance

front

gallery_1602_10_545675.jpg

Hey, I notice you have two U-Tubes in your overflow. Does one act as a backup, or does that just drain more water?

thanks.

d

Look at this crappy tank with just a elbow for an overflow to surface skim:

http://www.wamas.org/totm_previous.php?pre...tm-2007-02.html

here is another with not much success:

http://www.wamas.org/totm_previous.php?pre...tm-2007-06.html

not saying it is the absolute best way to do things but clearly not the most important factor.

I also make these:

520837774_c8bf4bc0e1.jpg

So now you have enough options to thoroughly confuse you. :biggrin:

:lol:

Look at this crappy tank with just a elbow for an overflow to surface skim:

http://www.wamas.org/totm_previous.php?pre...tm-2007-02.html

here is another with not much success:

http://www.wamas.org/totm_previous.php?pre...tm-2007-06.html

:lol:

hahaha thanks dan... I think what I really need to do is get my fuge on the tank and see how it fits and find out how much room I have. If someone talks to Charlie let me know since he's supposed to send it to me!

and yes, I was using the extra utube to handle more flow

(edited)

I GOT MY FUGE! now I just need to drill my tank, I was told that a 1" bulkhead will be enough for my 600 gph return?? Let me know, thx

Edited by lletellier

Picture update, hoping to get water in this weekend!

gamma 15w uv

gallery_1602_10_827315.jpg

uv mounted on hooks for easy movement

gallery_1602_10_492406.jpg

my ghetto ato system, box velcroed to my stand and my maxi jet 600 in a 5 gallon bucket

gallery_1602_10_211639.jpg

gallery_1602_10_566112.jpg

the space where I am going to drill my tank and put a 90 degree elbow

gallery_1602_10_143536.jpg

overall tank pics, you can see my cpr fuge light in the back

gallery_1602_10_1458552.jpg

gallery_1602_10_433691.jpg

my favorite thing right now is to see the moonlights on... I think they might disturb the fish though... they are pretty bright for such a small tank, any suggestions??

gallery_1602_10_426381.jpg

gallery_1602_10_216116.jpg

Thats all for now... tank is getting drilled tomorrow i'll snap shots again once I have that done and my sump is complete.