xenia

modelrr

I'm a little weirded out with my pulsing xenia...I got a frag I think two years ago, when I set up my first sw tank...it grew like a weed in there...I moved it into the newly set up 90g several months ago...grew like a weed in there as well...but recently it's just stopped. I did the periodic 'weeding' (leaving one small piece behind as usual) and it just didn't grow back. Now I only have one, nice-looking little bunch attached to a rock that I've now placed near the center of the aquarium on the sandbed.

I'm definitely happy about this, but am just curious as to why the xenia stopped growing all the sudden...

any thoughts?

I'm a little weirded out with my pulsing xenia...I got a frag I think two years ago, when I set up my first sw tank...it grew like a weed in there...I moved it into the newly set up 90g several months ago...grew like a weed in there as well...but recently it's just stopped. I did the periodic 'weeding' (leaving one small piece behind as usual) and it just didn't grow back. Now I only have one, nice-looking little bunch attached to a rock that I've now placed near the center of the aquarium on the sandbed.

I'm definitely happy about this, but am just curious as to why the xenia stopped growing all the sudden...

any thoughts?

Did you upgrade skimmers???

no - no major changes to the tank that I can think of...

I can't keep xenia worth a darn in my 58-gallon tank, but it grows fine in the frag tank and the 24-gallon nano. It's just one of those mysteries.

bob

Guest NSC

Xenia tries to grow upwards and will try to always grow up higher and higher, if the rock you have has the xenia on its highest point it will stop "fragging" itself to grow higher and simply get broader on the stalk and bushier.

isn't xenia is the one that likes more nutrients in the water?

NSC: that's an interesting point. The xenia is actually located on the highest point on the rock. But I haven't noticed any increase in heftiness. It's just stopped.

treesprite: you know, I was actually wondering the same thing. Maybe my tank water is just too clean? :wig: