My new tank thread

dschflier

I will start with some old pictures of my setup and equipment and try and make updates on this thread as I have the time. I am going to try and write this so other people can learn from my mistakes and success. I will try to explain the problems I have faced and will answer questions people may have or direct questions asked to people that would know better then me.

My current tank setup is:

Main display tank 210gallon RR

attached to the setup is

90 gallon drilled tank

40 gallon breeder drilled

custom sump made by Jeff(NAGA)

I also have a large sump which is seperate from the main system for curing Live rock.

My 210 has 3x 250watt SE MH bulbs. and 2x 96 watt pwr compact acitinc bulbs. I also have 5 LED moonlights. I plan on adding 2 VHO bulbs I want to add more blue to the tank.

My 90 is currently setup as a holding tank and refugium. It is a reef ready tank which I drilled so the overflow could easily flow into the 40 breeder next to it. I have 2x250 watt MH pendants lighting that tank but that may change since they are lights which are for sale.

My 40 gallon breeder is primarily used for corals. I really love this tank because it allows me easy access. It is not high like my old bowfront was. I am using it also as a learning tool just to see what things work and dont for my system. I use T-5s on this tank. It has a fixture with 4-T-5s and moonlights.

My sump I would estimate is about 65 gallons but I am not sure. I really love this piece of equipment which Jeff(NAGA) made for me. The height allows easy access and it can handle a very high flow rate. Over the years I have upgraded from 2nd rate equipment to descent equipment to my present equipment, which I feel is top of the line.

In my sump I am using primarily Grey seas aquatics equipment. I have a grey seas Kalk stirrer, Protein skimmer and Phosphate reactor. As I have stated on the Grey seas thread. I feel this equipment is top notch. I have learned you definitly get what you pay for and with Grey seas equipment you not only get quality made equipment you get support from someone who really knows what works and why. Dans experince and knowledge has taught me a tremendous amount about my system and I hope to share some of what I have been learning.

My water movment consists of an Iwaki100 pump. This pump circulates the water through all of my tanks. In my 210 I have 2-Tunzees on a controller and one 1" sea swirl, I use all 4 holes in the drilled 210 as drains. In my 90 I have 3-mj-1200s on a wavemaker. The inflow of the 90 goes through a current 25watt UV sterilizer, which I eventually plan on upgrading. I drilled 2x1" holes in the 90 which flows to the 40. my 40 gallon has the inflow from the 90 and another inflow as well as one mj-1200 on a wave maker. I drilled 2x1" holes in my 40 which drains into my sump.

I will be taking pictures to post so it will be easier to visualize.

i look forward to seeing some pics and i will agree with what you said about dan. i have called him numerous times and he has answered all of my questions no matter how simple. his customer service is exemplary. thanx dan. look forward to learning about your setup

Here are some pictures of my old setup. These were from about about 3 years ago. This is just to give an idea of what it looked like when I was starting. I am at work now but, when I get home I will try and take some pictures of my 40 and 90. The lights should be on.

gallery_684_32_102013.jpg

I sold the foxface because he was getting huge and my tangs were constantly going after him. gallery_684_32_854998.jpga>p><p>This is my old sump configuration.  I think a picture says alot.  It was undersized for my system and didn

http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/115522...4_32_218862.jpg' alt='a>'>gallery_684_32_399997.jpggallery_684_32_1045532.jpggallery_684_33_147541.jpg

gallery_684_32_151675.jpg

Not sure why that didn't come out in the first post. Old sump setup.

(edited)

Here are some pictures of my 90 and 40 breeder

gallery_684_33_348882.jpg

This is the 40 breeder. For some reason I cant get the colors from my eye through the camera and then onto the website. I actually feel this tank has good color in it. I have different types of zenya, polyps, 2 SPS corals and 2 anemonies. My bubble tip which is hiding, is actually doing very well and handled the change from the 42 bowfront to the lower profile 40 breeder. My second anemonie,(center picture middle) which I am not sure of the type, doesn't appear to be doing as well. I am not sure if it is due to the change in depth, or that I am finally getting on top of my water quality and the change maybe is taking the anemonie time to get acclimated. I seperated my clowns from my anemonies in order to give the anemonies some time and then will put them into the 90. The clowns lived in both of the anemonies. I really want to see if I can get my clowns to breed and would eventually like to learn how to raise the young. This is my only bare bottom tank. I have one pepermint shrimp and some crabs in this tank as well.

I will say my weakest aspects in the hobby and were I need to improve the most (not including my terrible grammer and spelling) is in remembering the names of all these animals I have, and testing and keeping track of my water parameters. I am sure I have many other weaknesses but my eternal optimisum keeps me from dwelling on all of them. As I post more I will be posting my water parameters and what changes I have been making.

Edited by dschflier

gallery_684_33_341801.jpg

This is my 90 gallon. The 40 breeder sits just to the left of the 90. This tank is reef ready but I dont currently use the internal overflow. I decided not to use the predrilled holes because I drilled 2 holes in the back top so they could flow by gravity into the 40. If I used holes at the bottom of the tank the water would have to drain back into the sump. I will eventually hook up the overflow to the sump just in case something along the way gets clogged the water would still have a place to go. This would also allow me to increase the flow if I ever wanted in the 90. I use 3 mj1200 on a wavemaker and the inflow water which comes from the sump all goes through my 25 watt UV sterilizer. The reason I have the setup as I do is because My 90 can be completely detached from the rest of the setup and this way any water that comes into this tank will be sterilized exclussively. I currently am using 2x250watt pendants that I was selling. I still may sell the pendants but am in no rush because I like the light they produce. I am working on a pully system to make them able to be lifted away from the tank easily. I will take pictures of how I have them hanging now. I am looking for better suggestions. All suggestions are welcome. For that matter all suggestions on any aspects of my setup are welcome. Just keep in mind I am now a "Grand Master Reefer", so in order to speak you must first get permission from one of my many underlings. For all of you new WAMAS members part of the membership perks is when you become a "Grand Master Reefer" WAMAS provides you with a couple a lowly hatchlings and below to do your water changes for you. It really has made life much easier. :)

I currently have this tank split in two parts. The left side is all rubble. I did this for my manderin who appears to frequently be searching for food on this side of the tank. The tank is split by a live rock wall. On the otherside is a deep sandbed and branching tonga. My plan is to attach different types of macro algea to the pieces of branching LR. Eventually I am thinking of getting some nice Jaw fish for the DSB. From what I have been reading BRK can get some really nice ones. When I am ready I plan on speaking with John about that. I forgot the name of the angel but I am sure I will be reminded. I got him from Weapon-x and have sold him already, but the person who bought him is not ready for him yet. I am happy with that because I really like this fish so will enjoy holding him as long as needed. I plan on getting 2 very small hippo tangs and letting them grow out in this tank. One will go to my father and the other I may either sell eventually or see if I can introduce it to my large tank. I have always felt that putting my new tangs in a refugium with good sterilized water has always worked well for preventing any ich outbreaks. I had my emperor angel and my purple tang in my 42 for almost a year before I put him in my 210.

In this tank I have my 2 clowns, the angel, either 3 or 4 pepermint shrimp another bright red shrimp which I forgot the name a bunch of crabs some snails and some macro algea

gallery_684_33_658475.jpg

In this picture you can see how the tanks are connected. The 1" holes drilled into the 90 gallon go to a 1.25" PVC drain, which goes into the 40 gallon. Both drains are air vented and as stated the 90s drains increase in size to allow as much drainaige as possible without any backup. This also prevents any noise issues. Even with my brittle star who is living in the outflow in the 40 there is no backup of flow. Every once in a while I put a piece of food near an opening and she happily takes it from me.