75 Gallon Setup

Triggerfish31

I read some of the attached articles for beginners. I have my salinity at 1.026 and waiting until this coming weekned or early next week to buy some live rock. I am planning on getting 50-60lbs of live rock. Beside the salinity are there anymore parameters that need to be met before putting in the LR? Also when would be the best time to add the cleaning crew(snails and hermits)? I was planning on adding them once the tank cycles. My system is all up and running.

Aaron

Guest han012

i had the same question when i setup my tank.

i checked my pH level before i put my LR in & its a good thing too because the heater i got had a small crack sending the pH level off the scale. if you use instant ocean, it has a buffer to keep it from reaching a pH of 8.3.

also, you don't really need to wait that long to put your lr in. the salinity should balance out in a day or so.

i've been told that you can janitors after the tank cycles. during my cycle, i got an algae bloom once my cycle came to an end. i think that's a sign that the tank is ready for janitors.

hope this helps.

You people that join WAMAS first, read up, and do things right just kill me...

On December 16th, I came home from MS with an aquapod, a light, some sand, and some salt. I put 24 gallons of my nice well-water in the tank, and added salt until my super swing-arm said 1.025. On December 17th, I came home from MS with 30 pounds of quality live rock - arrived from Fiji that day! Had all kinds of interesting, but dying sponges and stuff on it. I aquascaped, and dumped in the sand. Glad I didn't get any snails - that cycle would have killed most anything. I kept measuring the water... I had readings off the scale for ammonia, then nitrites, then nitrates. 6 weeks to cycle that thing. House smelled like the back bay. When I could actually see all the way from one side to the other - then I put in a cleanup crew. Then I joined WAMAS.

So - when to put in the janitor crew? When you can actually see them after you put them in!

bob

At the moment I am using Instant Ocean and need to wait until my next payday to get the live rock. Right now scouting out the books on what type of corals I want to keep. Looking at mushrooms, toadstools, Xenia and maybe zooanthids. As for fish I am looking at clownfish, blenny, goby and one larger fish but not what to get at this point. Thats far down the road for me. I will put up pics every so often now that I am finally up and running.

Aaron

Looking at mushrooms, toadstools, Xenia and maybe zooanthids.

Aaron

Well the nice thing is that most of those corals are fairly easy to come by among the WAMAS group. You'll make your $20 back in no time!

At the moment I am using Instant Ocean and need to wait until my next payday to get the live rock. Right now scouting out the books on what type of corals I want to keep. Looking at mushrooms, toadstools, Xenia and maybe zooanthids. As for fish I am looking at clownfish, blenny, goby and one larger fish but not what to get at this point. Thats far down the road for me. I will put up pics every so often now that I am finally up and running.

Aaron

I've got some mushrooms you can throw in there right now!

Okay - maybe you'd want them to have at least half a chance to live...

bob