what feed pump do I need for calcium reactor

bcjm

I use a small rio pump. The dripping stops periodically. What kind of feed pump you guys use? I have a MJ I can try but it is hard to find a hose for MJ outlet to a 1/8 tube to the reactor.

Bob

For FEED, I use an MJ and put a piece of vinyl hose on it by heating it with hot water and forcing it on.

I did the same with a 1/4" JG fitting for the feed tube to the reactor.

I just drilled and tapped the return line for a 1/4" JG fitting. They are available with ball valves for when you disconnect the reactor. I put a plastic needle valve inline for flow control. One less pump to worry about.

I just drilled and tapped the return line for a 1/4" JG fitting. They are available with ball valves for when you disconnect the reactor. I put a plastic needle valve inline for flow control. One less pump to worry about.

Does it put in too much presure to the reactor from a return pump?

Does it put in too much presure to the reactor from a return pump?

not if you put a ball valve in before the rector.....this way you have control as to the amount of water is being supplied to the reactor.....

I used to have a mj600 to my reactor but then I just tapped off from my return pump (ehiem 1262) and feed my reactor and my skimmer (ball valve on both). I now have control of water feeding reactor and rate of effluent leaving reactor.

I have a MJ I can try but it is hard to find a hose for MJ outlet to a 1/8 tube to the reactor.

1/8 " tubing or 1/4" (like RO lines)?

Here's what I do:

At Home Depot:

1/2 mpt to 1/2 barbed fitting adapter (These conveniently fit snugly right over the outlet of a Maxi-Jet pump). Then use 1/2" vinyl tubing to another 1/2 barbed to 1/2 mpt adapter --> 1/2"pvc ---> 1/2 mpt to 1/4" John Guest adapter. I am pretty sure they have a 1/2" mpt to 1/8" JG fitting too if you need that.

I was using an MJ 400 but had the same problem with the feed stopping sometimes. I thought it might be b/c I have it dialed down so much at the end, but I don't know. Now I'm trying a Tom's Aqualifter pump, sucking from the outlet of the Ca reactor instead of pushing in. Works fine for now but too soon to tell whether it's a long term solution.