quick road trip to CA

kngfisher

Ok, here is the deal. I am going to Irvine CA for the weekend and am wondering if it pays to visit any of the LFS out there....if I would be close to them and maybe bring back a coral or two.

1) Does anyone know how to get a list of LFS for another city and/or a forum site for a club out there I could read some of their vendor exp.

2) Anyone travel w/ coral on a plane? How is it done? What should I expect? Is it worth it?

i dont really know where tha is in comparison to santa monica

but GO TO A BEACH! any where near santa monica go to venice beach-

(DONT LEAVE YOUR THINGS ANYWHERE they might be stolen... haha long story)

go look in some tide pools at any beach with a jeti- it is one of the most amazing things you will ever see.... unless you go scuba diving in coral reefs

its not as beautiful its just really awsome.

there are HUNDREDS of anenomes- and just really neat

sorry just had to share i got back from california on saturday hah

HAVE FUN

Remember that you can't bring any liquid items on the plane. So anything you bring back, you will have to either ship it back or check it in as luggage. Knowing how the luggage handlers handle luggage, I wouldn't feel safe to put anything sensitive through. JMHO.

James

(edited)

With the water ban in effect last year on the way home from Macna, we checked some coral and TSA still sliced the bags and fingerprinted one of the items we had in there. Definately not worth bringing it on the plane in my opinion.

-Jess

Edited by 90OcReef

With the water ban in effect last year on the way home from Macna, we checked some coral and TSA still sliced the bags and fingerprinted one of the items we had in there. Definately not worth bringing it on the plane in my opinion.

-Jess

fingerprinted a coral/ fish....???

ok tang, we have placed you at the scene now fess up!!!!

fingerprinted a coral/ fish....???

ok tang, we have placed you at the scene now fess up!!!!

I'll be in Irvine between July 4th - 9th. I was thinking to stop by fragglereef.com and vividaquariums.com in LA. If you know any other places that worth spending time in the LA busy traffic, please let me know. Thx!

KLee

Guest JasonD
(edited)

Not all liquids are banned...just a max of 3 or 3.5 ozs. and it must fit within a plastic baggie. That said, I take stuff all the time on the plane in my carry-on bigger than this (contact lens solution, toothpaste, etc.) and the TSA bunglers have never said anything. It's not very strongly enforced in my experience.

Edited by JasonD

John

Liquid carryons don't even attempt it!

I've been trying to reach Cory and Kenton from AquaticsIsland.com for doing a GB for especially Red Tipped Hermit Crabs from Mexico but they have yet to reply.

There are 5 Wholesalers in the Wharf area of San Diego that they buy from!

(edited)

would it pay to visit a LFS while out there?

If you want to stop in to any of those places to pick out a specific invert or fish, or if you have time and just want to go site-seeing at different facilities, then it would be worth it.

Vivid has a nice facility, but it is not loaded with lots of different fish or coral. I think most of their stock is purchased in LA, brought in as needed to fill orders, quarantined, then shipped out. It is not like a LFS. Also, Vivid is a long way from Irvine.

Never been to fragglereef.

Jeff's Exotic Fish's warehouse location is in Gardena and close to the freeway. I've been their three times and there is always a lot to look at. It would be easy to pick up a coral or clam from them and take it on board the plane.

If anything I would look into visiting a couple of the LAX-area wholesalers just to see what a big operation looks like.

If you do make a visit for heaven's sake take picts and post them.

Edited by Valab

would it pay to visit a LFS while out there?

If you want to stop in to any of those places to pick out a specific invert or fish, or if you have time and just want to go site-seeing at different facilities, then it would be worth it.

Vivid has a nice facility, but it is not loaded with lots of different fish or coral. I think most of their stock is purchased in LA, brought in as needed to fill orders, quarantined, then shipped out. It is not like a LFS. Also, Vivid is a long way from Irvine.

Never been to fragglereef.

Jeff's Exotic Fish's warehouse location is in Gardena and close to the freeway. I've been their three times and there is always a lot to look at. It would be easy to pick up a coral or clam from them and take it on board the plane.

If anything I would look into visiting a couple of the LAX-area wholesalers just to see what a big operation looks like.

If you do make a visit for heaven's sake take picts and post them.

:) I'll bring my digital camera with me. Can you post the names of the LAX-area wholesalers. Might as well visit them in case I head that way. Thanks for the info.

KLee

there was a bit on the news the other day about some woman who was not allowed to bring her baby's milk bottle on the plane; the woman was mad and dumped out the liquid on the floor

Ok, here is the deal. I am going to Irvine CA for the weekend and am wondering if it pays to visit any of the LFS out there....if I would be close to them and maybe bring back a coral or two.

1) Does anyone know how to get a list of LFS for another city and/or a forum site for a club out there I could read some of their vendor exp.

2) Anyone travel w/ coral on a plane? How is it done? What should I expect? Is it worth it?

you can always pick out coral / fish(es) that you like on your last day in California and have them ship next day for you or ship to your friends' house while you're still there.

That's what I probably will try while I am out there.

KLee

Guest riotj
(edited)

I am from southern california and actually moving back east to D.C. in september. I live about 15 minutes from Irvine. I would stay in Orange County as all of the great stores are there. No need to travel to LA.

In Irvine is Coral Oasis - definately worth a stop -

Also, in Costa Mesa is Coral and Fish Center - large more corals than fish; the lighting isn't the best for colors but you can find some nice stuff there, and then there's Jeff's in Costa Mesa. The Gardena store hans changed owners and no longer Jeff;s.

For great Corals and I mean great, but so so fish - I wouldn't buy fish there and would also dip any corals - is Tong's in Fountain Valley at Corner of magnolia and Warner. All within 15 minutes of Irvine. I would definately stop there since his show aquariums has rare incredible corals but aren't for sale. He frags some of them. Definately Tong's it's like going to a public aquarium.

There are plenty more and it amazes me how they are all still in business but it is a big big hobby here. You'll probably think the prices are cheap cheap and they probably are compared to the east coast.

All except Tong's has a website.

You can pm me for more if that doesn't keep you busy enough.

Edited by riotj

thanks for the info. am here in irvine currently but have not gone to any LFS yet. Hope I have time but looks like I have to drive down to oceanside for the day and I fly back monday morning......

I am here in Southern Cali. and dropped by Tong's place yesterday. Lots of SPS, LPS, nice Ricordeas, a beautiful Watermelon Chalice just like the one Bob (Lanham) bidded on from Bendalat. I was rushing out for this trip and forgot to bring my digital camera with me to take pixes.

Three large 150 + gallon display tanks with 1 is for display, not for sale. The other two have all kinds of large Acan colonies, neon green leather fingers, Red ricordias blue tort. Prices are just as expensive as if we buy from the East coast stores. It's about as big as the Glen Burnie retail store in Maryland (forgot the name).

Saltwaterfish is just regular, just have lots of blue hippo tang, yellow tang, sailfin tang, powder blue, nice small (very) red flame angels. And prices are just about same if we go to Roozen. But if you need to pickup anything for a new tank setup, this place probably carries the things you're looking for on your emergency list, w/o waiting or going around diff. stores.

I'll try to stop by the two Irvine stores today or tomorrow; hopefully, with time permits.