bad things in the tank

lletellier

I have those brown little polyp looking things growning out of a few of my rocks and I have been told they are not good so I need to know how to get rid of them. I've been told that if I cut them they will spread! what do I do??

I have those brown little polyp looking things growning out of a few of my rocks and I have been told they are not good so I need to know how to get rid of them. I've been told that if I cut them they will spread! what do I do??

Do NOT take the rock out and pour boiling water over them...

bob

are they the poison things?

are they the poison things?

Sounds like it - nuisance polyps - some kind of Palythoa probably:

Genus: Palythoa

Common Species

P. caesia, P. caribaeorum, P. complanata, P. mammilosa, P. psammophila, P. tuberculosa

Common Names

Sea Mat

Button Polyps

Notes

Prefers bright light, but is tolerant of lower light

Prefers moderate to strong current

High reproductive rate

Very aggressive coral

Some species contain a strong neurotoxin which affects humans

Good starter coral

bob

Do NOT take the rock out and pour boiling water over them...

bob

Yeah, what bob said!!! That can put a major hurting on you. Either use repeated kalk paste injections or Joe's juice.

I dont know if it was here or somewhere else... someone had posted about getting really ill from having inhaled the steam

I'll get a pic up and go from there

I dont know if it was here or somewhere else... someone had posted about getting really ill from having inhaled the steam

Yes - it was SteveOutlaw, who posted just above....

bob

Guest Undercoverdork

if it is aiptasia, a peppermint shrimp will eat it..maybe

steveoutlaw came over today and said exactly that, get some pepermint shrimp, so if anyone has any pepermint shrimp they want to sell let me know

If it's Majano anemone (or aptasia), Joe's Juice will kill it intantly. $8/bottle. I finally got rid of mine, but took a few weeks. Persistant buggers.

steveoutlaw came over today and said exactly that, get some pepermint shrimp, so if anyone has any pepermint shrimp they want to sell let me know

I tried peppermint on my majano's because someone told me they would eat them. There were some qualification like "they have to be Atlantic PS and the anemone have to be small" and such. They couldn't have been less interested, so I ended up having to zap the anemone with Joe's Juice. I have heard they are much more likely to eat Aptasia.

DO NOT let them get out of control. I'm telling you from personal experience. Do it right now.

I'm going to the LFS tonight and i'm going to pick up both cause they do spread like crazy and I want them gone :(!!!!

I had a few (very few) persistent aptasia and zapped them with Joe's Juice several times over a three week period. They laughed at me, grew a little larger and dropped a couple of babies. I finally figured out that I should turn off all pumps and powerheads before applying the treatment and for about 10 minutes after. Aptasia is now gone!

I had a few (very few) persistent aptasia and zapped them with Joe's Juice several times over a three week period. They laughed at me, grew a little larger and dropped a couple of babies. I finally figured out that I should turn off all pumps and powerheads before applying the treatment and for about 10 minutes after. Aptasia is now gone!

Second that. Turn off all pumps. SHAKE the bottle well and draw about 1/5 of a syringe at a time. (It's a white milky liquid) It can clump up in the tip occasionally. If that happens DO NOT force it out in the tank as it will eventually explode in a white cloud. If it clumps, squirt it back in the bottle and draw it up again. Point the tip of the syringe into the anemones mouth/center, not quite touching it, and give a LITTLE squirt - you'll get the hang of it, but it doesn't take much. They instantly shrivel up and dissappear - kind of weird. It coagulates very quickly in the water, so just wave your fingers over the spot immediately afterwards and the white dust will just drift away in your tank.

They say it doesn't kill other tank inhabitants, but I wouldn't put it directly on anything other than an anemone. It's very easy to control the application though.