RO/DI Water Storage

dhogan

What are you guys using to store RO/DI water? I want to get a container that isn't going to leech chemicals. I am limited by height, I was originally going to use a ~30 gal tupperware that fit in the space, any thoughts?

most people just use 40 gal brute trash cans

dang, didn't know tupperware came that big. supertupperware.

so I'm guessing a 20g brute trashcan is still to tall?

What are you guys using to store RO/DI water? I want to get a container that isn't going to leech chemicals. I am limited by height, I was originally going to use a ~30 gal tupperware that fit in the space, any thoughts?

dang, didn't know tupperware came that big. supertupperware.

so I'm guessing a 20g brute trashcan is still to tall?

Whoops, I'm out of it. I mean't rubbermaid.

I just set my system up. Using a "sump pit" from Home Depot. about 20" diameter and 24 " tall (rough)

Look in the sump pump section. They are MUCH MUCH more rigid than trash cans and only $22.00

Al

Not sure if this helps or not, I have a 30 gal plastic drum from Pepsi plant in Hyattsville (I know, it's a hike) and used that to store my RO/DI water. It's a round drum, but I've seen several people laid it down sideway and used it that way.

James

The Container Store will be your friend! It might be hot pink or something but they will likely have a container that fits your size restrictions. It won't be a cheap as what you get at HD but if it's the only option, it's better than nothing.

I'm very wary of the containers that are not actually made to hold water other than the Brute garbage cans. I have had several different plastic containers split on me and so I don't use them to hold water any more. You can get a water drum from Tractor Supply that has a bulkhead fitting in it already that holds 35 gallons for around $50 I believe. I have a 35 and a 125 gallon drum that I use for different water storage. They are very tough, as well, as the 35 gallon drum fell off of a Brute garbage can and didn't shatter (it was also full of water!).

I use a big rubbermaid trash can at home but with the size restrictions you could probably use a rubbermaid (or similar) tub.

looking for a picture now...

http://rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/p...Id=HPProd150036

thats sorta what I am thinking. 50 gallon bin

-Joe

That would be good, but are those goign ot leech phosphates?

I use a big rubbermaid trash can at home but with the size restrictions you could probably use a rubbermaid (or similar) tub.

looking for a picture now...

http://rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/p...Id=HPProd150036

thats sorta what I am thinking. 50 gallon bin

-Joe

Don't use that one. It's got rigid walls and is very thin and can crack. With filling and emptying, I'd say that one would crack very quickly unless you build a rack that will basically hold it in place. I know from experience that they are NOT reliable for water storage and are definitely not designed for it. It'll begin bowing the second you fill it and it's only a matter of time before it cracks!

Try this: Water Storage Tanks