GSP Algae Magnet

Steve G

So I have green star polyps (GSP) growing a bit out of control in my tank. They're beautiful, but once they encrust a rock it's hard to get them off. So as I started scraping one particular rock I decided to attach a scraping to the inside magnet on my algae scraper. I've already gotten a frag to grow out and cover part of a powerhead, providing a nice, natural disguise. What if I can get my magnet covered in this stuff? I have a tiny scraping with about 3 stars on it rubber banded on there now. I'll post back with photos to see if I can get the thing covered. Up until now I've had some tubeworms call the magnet home, but nothing really that could hide it altogether. I think that would be pretty cool looking to have it covered in GSP-- or would the jerky movements once a day be bad for the GSP colony? We'll see!

Sounds like an awsome project

I don't see why not - YB has a nice mat growing on the wall of one of his tanks. I've been thinking about growing some on pvc in the frag tank and swapping out my closed loop outlets.

jp

I just wouldn't use the magnet to clean anymore. Calcium depositing fauna will get underneath if you leave it in there 24-7, and will scratch your glass.

I just wouldn't use the magnet to clean anymore. Calcium depositing fauna will get underneath if you leave it in there 24-7, and will scratch your glass.

Hmm, I've had tubeworms growing on my magnet for months and doesn't seem to affect the cleaning surface. Maybe a mat of polyps would e different.

yep I have to pull my magnet out to clean it once a year or so to keep the velcro clear enough to be effective- I suppose GSP could survive those cleanings if done a bit genler than I do them.