Cool Your Tank for Only $6

tygger

I've finally found a small fan that would fit my setup. The best part is that the fan only cost $6 at Walmart. Don't let the cost fool you... it's only 4" small, but seems to be well constructed. My only concern is that it's all metal as oppose to a comparable Lasko task fan made of plastic, but it's also only half the cost.

I'm going to put it on a timer, but in the mean time, I've been running it 24/7 for the past few days and it has decreased my tank's temp from 81-82 to 79 degrees and increase evaporation from 1 gallon/day to 2 gallons/day.

So far so good! :)

DSC_1322.jpg

DSC_1321.jpg

gonna have to stop by walmart

i'm in burke where are you?? i'd like to come by and see your setup

Hey Chak, you system looks pretty good there from what I can see. You have any more tank pics? What kind of lights are those the legs look pretty spiffy. Oh yeah, like the fan too :)

ive been looking around trying to find a suitable fan - thanks for the tip, I'll go take a look in the next couple days to see if i can pick one of those up

You know, it's funny you post that. I bought 4 of those fans when I flooded my kitchen -- to help dry out the small area between the kitchen floor and the garage ceiling below. I think I'll hold onto 2, but I would love to sell 2 of them to recoup some of the cost, since I don't need all 4.

And yea, I agree, they're great fans, pretty well constructed, small, reliable.

If anyone's interested in buying one of mine, let me know. They've only been used for a weekend, basically. I'd never thought of using them to cool my tank, but I haven't had overheating issues yet.

lletellier, I'll send ya a PM.

Dan, I'll have to take some new pics. Until you asked, I didn't realize that the latest pics I have were from a year ago! I have a pretty simple setup with all easy to care for fish/corals because I don't have as much time as I'd like to devote to the addiction.

The light fixture is made by Coralvue. When I was first piecing together parts for my tank, I didn't know nearly as much as I do now. I could've saved a lot by putting togehter a kit, but the fixture was perfect for what I needed at the time. Specs: 2x250w DE MH, 4x26w PC actinics. It came with the stackable legs and little blinds (in first pic).

Jason, thx for the compliments.

treesprite, you're welcome.

You know, it's funny you post that. I bought 4 of those fans when I flooded my kitchen -- to help dry out the small area between the kitchen floor and the garage ceiling below. I think I'll hold onto 2, but I would love to sell 2 of them to recoup some of the cost, since I don't need all 4.

And yea, I agree, they're great fans, pretty well constructed, small, reliable.

If anyone's interested in buying one of mine, let me know. They've only been used for a weekend, basically. I'd never thought of using them to cool my tank, but I haven't had overheating issues yet.

lol. They work pretty well for how small they are.

I think I'll hold onto 2, but I would love to sell 2 of them to recoup some of the cost, since I don't need all 4.

If they are the same as the ones described here I'll take one depending on price and also can I pick up at the Summer meeting?

Raf

Would you guys take 'em for $5? They're pretty much almost brand new; I believe I probably still have the box. And I'll match Walmart's 30-day return policy, since that might be worth the extra $1 to you. :bb:

I'm not yet sure if I'll be going to the summer meeting, but the default is that I will; and we can certainly figure another way to deliver if that's not going to work.

Would you guys take 'em for $5? They're pretty much almost brand new; I believe I probably still have the box. And I'll match Walmart's 30-day return policy, since that might be worth the extra $1 to you. :bb:

I'm not yet sure if I'll be going to the summer meeting, but the default is that I will; and we can certainly figure another way to deliver if that's not going to work.

If you price match CVS had them for 3.99, if so I'll take even though is a used item. We can work something out for the delivery, you may have to ship it (free of charge) to me FEDEX Overnight. Will that work? If that's so I'll PayPal $3.99 to you tonight and you have to eat the PP 3% fee. :clap: :wink: :clap:

Raf

Nah too much work, then. If you can get it for $4 from the corner CVS, might as well.

If you price match CVS had them for 3.99, if so I'll take even though is a used item. We can work something out for the delivery, you may have to ship it (free of charge) to me FEDEX Overnight. Will that work? If that's so I'll PayPal $3.99 to you tonight and you have to eat the PP 3% fee. :clap: :wink: :clap:

Raf

Nah too much work, then. If you can get it for $4 from the corner CVS, might as well.

Man you are tough to deal with, $5 it is and we can work pick up later on. The above post was a joke. :lol:

Raf

:) Raf's like that... yeah, he is! Only surprise is that he didn't ask for it for $3.72 because it's used.

And he only accepts 100% biodegradable packing material, and it must be double-boxed and insured. Can't have the valuable merchandise damaged!

:bounce:

bob

Oops, yea, I should have realized! :blush:

One of you is in springfield, i believe(?), which is close, so pickup tonight or anytime after this weekend (going out of town tomorrow) can be arranged.

Man you are tough to deal with, $5 it is and we can work pick up later on. The above post was a joke. :lol:

Raf

Oops, yea, I should have realized! :blush:

One of you is in springfield, i believe(?), which is close, so pickup tonight or anytime after this weekend (going out of town tomorrow) can be arranged.

I'm in springfield but I'm out of town until Monday cause of a planned family trip to Solomons islands. Arrange something a bit later on?

:) Raf's like that... yeah, he is! Only surprise is that he didn't ask for it for $3.72 because it's used.

And he only accepts 100% biodegradable packing material, and it must be double-boxed and insured. Can't have the valuable merchandise damaged!

:bounce:

bob

I'm slacking, good catch Bob... darn I can't believe I offered 3.99 instead of the 3.72 and forgot about my standard packing requirements... :lol:

Sounds good. No rush from my end.

I'm in springfield but I'm out of town until Monday cause of a planned family trip to Solomons islands. Arrange something a bit later on?