black plexiglass

treesprite

does anyone know of a hardware store that sells black plexiglass, where they will cut it for me? I'm turning an empty 38 into a sump/fuge side-by-side the 45, but splitting it the long way to hide the equipment. I checked Home Depot and Lowes - they will cut but neither sells the black.

Guest minimalist

www.firstclassaquatics.com will do it for you.

ACME plastics in Virginia, near Edsall road and I-395.

Reed or Read Plastics in Md.

fab

ACME plastics in Virginia, near Edsall road and I-395.

Reed or Read Plastics in Md.

fab

ACME plastics in Alexandria closed.

Jason, have you actually used the krylon? Or anyone? I would just want to make sure it won't hurt anything.

Ordering from the net is a big hassle and the shipping shoots the cost way up, so I don't wnat to go that route (I did look around though)

There is a plexiglass shop in Rockville that carries it and will cut it for you. It is near 355 and montrose, but back on one of the side streets. Sorry don't remember the name.

There is a lot written about Krylon being reef safe, and you can see it being used here. I love the results, and many of our more experienced members use it on PVC in tank rather than finding and spending extra on black PVC

thanks for letting me know about the shop - I'll try to find out the address

I looked around at a bunch of different sites where people talk about using the Krylon, and apparently the general consensus is that it's safe, but there are always people who say to never put anything painted in the tank.

• 2 years later...

I have got plexiglass by searching different we sites. I am taking dingle berry trianing from a institute and i get plexiglass from my institue and teachers. They provide me it with all instruction and with best quality. I don't know exactly about any online store from where you can brought plexiglass. But i should make some search for you and then tell you

I have got plexiglass by searching different we sites. I am taking dingle berry training from a institute and i get plexiglass from my institue and teachers. They provide me it with all instruction and with best quality. I don't know exactly about any online store from where you can brought plexiglass. But i should make some search for you and then tell you

Funny when spammers come and can't even post a working link.

I order plexiglass and plastic parts online from usplastics.com, and I find the shipping is reasonable and well worth the savings in time and gas.

The last time I ordered a small sheet (12"x24"), it was $6.36 to have it shipped. If it takes me an hour to drive to the store, buy it, and return home, I spent an hour of my time to save $6...my time's worth more than that.

Jon

The plastics store in rockville is long gone. I tried calling read plastics after hearing that they're located in rockville and found out that they are now piedmont plastics and relocated to beltsville. If you're just looking for scraps, they have them for sale in the front of their service desk. While the scraps are cheap and come in all sorts of sizes and colors, their cutting service will depend on how busy they are and they will charge you a premium. They recently stopped cutting for free. I had a clear plexiglass splash shield cut for me for about $8, which was higher than I had expected.

You might have better luck with precision plastics, which is also in beltsville. I was only seeking a scrap of black plexiglass and the secretary went back and had it cut for me. Only $3 or $4 too. Unlike piedmont plastics, their scraps aren't stacked up in an area where you can actually see what they have on hand. But I had the exact dimensions, and it was a simple job for a single piece of common plexiglass.