SCWD Noises

DaveS

(edited)

Just wondering if anyone out there uses SCWDs and gets the chattering they produce. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my setup or if it's some design limitation of the SCWDs. I get this with multiple units and they chatter consistently at the same point in their rotation. Well each unit does it at a different spot but it's the same spot for that unit.

Background:

I got a Blue-line Model 70 pump (I think these are the ones that changed their name to Pan World). I think it pushes about 1500 GPH. The output is T-ed to 2 SCWDs and there's probably a 5 foot head on the output before it get to the top of my tank.

When I got the tank, the SCWDs were quiet. One of them stopped switching (little spiral thingy broke off) so I bought 2 more (a replacement and a spare). I put the new one in and it chattered. I swapped it out with the spare and it also chattered. After going through a couple more I finally found 1 that didn't chatter (actually it did but eventually stopped). Well the little spiral thingy in that one broke off too so now I'm trying to put in another and they all make that annoying noise.

Any ideas? What are some other good options to generate flow variation? I'm not crazy about power heads so one of those power strips with automated on/off isn't my first preference.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by DaveS

Any ideas? What are some other good options to generate flow variation? I'm not crazy about power heads so one of those power strips with automated on/off isn't my first preference.

Thanks everyone!

WavySeas! I like mine...

bob

Dave

First of all SCWD maximum gph is 1400! 1500gph Pan Am pump could be overdriving the units causing the chatter?

BUT you said your using a T off the pump but you mentioned NO Ball Valve to regulate. Each pump so my guess is your over driving each unit? It not the equpment fault, your going over the maximum rated units recommendation! :)

Try putting a Union/Ball Valve on each side of T and you should be all set!

I ran the same setup on my previous 75g. I had a Iwaki MD70RLT pushing through a backflow valve to first T to Ball Valve then to SCWD. Second to same setup, 3rd T to UV and last T to Skimmer. It worked out fine. Each T lead to a Ball Valve to regulate the right distribution.

Dave

First of all SCWD maximum gph is 1400! 1500gph Pan Am pump could be overdriving the units causing the chatter?

BUT you said your using a T off the pump but you mentioned NO Ball Valve to regulate. Each pump so my guess is your over driving each unit? It not the equpment fault, your going over the maximum rated units recommendation! :)

Try putting a Union/Ball Valve on each side of T and you should be all set!

I ran the same setup on my previous 75g. I had a Iwaki MD70RLT pushing through a backflow valve to first T to Ball Valve then to SCWD. Second to same setup, 3rd T to UV and last T to Skimmer. It worked out fine. Each T lead to a Ball Valve to regulate the right distribution.

Yea I saw that my pump is probably pushing more than the rated GPH of the device. But I also figured that since the output was getting T-ed immediately that each unit was seeing more like 750 GPH (not to mention the 5'-6' head on the pump. I do have ball valves after the T for each output (going to the SCWD) so I could turn down the flow on one side. That would just in theory increase the flow to the other side though and/or generally decrease the flow in the tank which I'd prefer not to do.

So is my assumption wrong that by having the T, the GPH to each SCWD brings it to within it's operating range?

My guess is Howard did not read the entire post.

You're what, $160 now into this. :( I would advise an Ocean's Motions 4 way or squirt, and avoid the SCWD's. $230 gets you wavemaking with no head pressure. Or wavyseas....

My guess is Howard did not read the entire post.

You're what, $160 now into this. :( I would advise an Ocean's Motions 4 way or squirt, and avoid the SCWD's. $230 gets you wavemaking with no head pressure. Or wavyseas....

Yea kinda but not exactly. The first 2 came with the system. I bought 2 and then a few others came via the RMA process. But yes, I'm getting close to tossing these guys.

I like the "idea" of the SCWD since it's self powered and fairly cheap. I'd prefer something that does not require yet another pump or power head. Anyone got a thread that gets into the the details of the Ocean Motions and Wavyseas products and how they work?

thanks everyone for the help!