palythoa attached to favia

jamal

just as the title suggests they are on the same rock and i want to know if i should cut the paly off. is one coral a danger to the other?

is this question to advanced?

I think perhaps it's a little confusing... favia's usually grow by themselves; create their own rock, so to speak. When freshly fragged, they have a bare spot on their skeleton, but they eventually cover that with polyps. If you have a paly growing on the skeleton that the favia is going to cover, I would suggest removing it to another location. Although - a favia with a palythoa growing out of the middle of it might be interesting. Favia's are somewhat aggressive, putting out 1-2" sweeper tentacles at night; so it might very well kill the paly before it ever becomes a problem.

bob

you may be right bob but it seems you are not confused. that is the answer i was looking for. thank you

well how do you guys recommend i remove it safely? i would like to keep it as it is a pretty green so what should i do? thanx

I fragged pallys over the weekend and it was more difficult for me than zoas, and for the first time I got squirted, luckily on the arm but it shot out about 2-3 feet. So wear goggles!

The tricky part was isolating a pally on the rock they have attached to, but I was able to find space to slide a razor under them and cut away the rock they were on.

IMGP0120.jpg

They look awesome green under actinic and moonlighting.

IMGP9999.jpg

Good luck Jamal!

jp

well how do you guys recommend i remove it safely? i would like to keep it as it is a pretty green so what should i do? thanx

Judging from Emissary's pictures, you don't really need to. They seem to get along pretty well :)

Take bigJPDC's warning to heart. They are toxic. You can search the WAMAS boards to find out how NOT to deal with them. Wear gloves and goggles and keep your mouth shut... the best way would probably be to take a very small chisel and chisel out a piece of the 'rock' that it is attached to, then super-glue it to something. For small operations, on reasonably soft material, I use an x-acto knife with a chisel blade. Some of them propagate themselves very well - to the point of becoming a nuisance.

bob