Cutting Glass

Guest reverai

Guest reverai

I'm trying to make a 10 gallon tank a refugium and I need to cut some bulkheads into the glass. I just called two glass places and both said they don't cut holes in tanks. So who does? Is there a special type of glass company that does?

Thanks

Steve

FWIW, a 10 gallon can be a pain to drill, but not impossible.  I had one drilled at TRT and it cracked, the thin glass is trickier than a large tank.  Most glass shops will not drill aquariums because there is nothing on the backside... as my local shop told me, "lay a piece of glass on the table and I can drill holes in it all day long".  So.... I looked at what I hand on hand and came up with something.  I cut two pieces of drywall to fit on the inside panes of the 10 gallon tank.  I then cut two short sections of 2x4's to wedge the two pieces against each side firmly.  That give the otherwise pretty shaky glass some backbone.  I didn't try it, but I probaby could have stood on the tank... maybe not. :)

Guest reverai

That's an interesting idea. I will see what I can find that already has a bulkhead I guess that is small enough to fit under my stand. If nothing comes up I may have to try your idead.

Steve

You can look at cheap plastic tanks that are small.  These can be drilled with a normal hole saw for doors.  

Michael