Got the Gurgles....

OUsnakebyte

Okay, here it goes....

Tank is a 65 gallon, drilled with a 1.5 inch bulkhead.  Return pump is a Mag 5.

I have a cap with a small hole drilled in the top to go over the pvc on the back of the tank (I guess a modified Durso standpipe...?), but the gurgling is coming from where the water is skimming off the top - at the beginning of the bulkhead, where I have an "L" turned upward to skim the water.

To reduce the gurgling, is it something as simple as putting in a T valve on the return line to slightly reduce the flow back into the tank?  It probably won't need that much cut back...

Any other ideas?  What am I missing....?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I got a similiar situation happening now with Three 1" BH coming out into sump. My problem is that I added the 1" Strainers to the elbows for the outflows, but the middle one was drilled (my mistake) directly under the center glass brace that is about 4" wide, not allowing me to adjust the water level enough to get even flow out of all 3 at once. This is forcing so much more water to go down the middle then the ends, creating a huge amount of noise.

I believe my answer is to pull the outside piece out of the BH and place a "T" pipe on with a top cap and small hole drilled to allow more air in to reduce this noise.

If this doesn't work then, I'm going to remove the strainer and place a small piece of PVC pipe in elbow with slices in it and use the 2 outer BH to get even flow vs only 1 get the brundt of the overflow.

Howard

A bit of backpressure might help (T or valve) OR you can try a bit of airline in the opening in the tank. If the airline works you might try opening up the hole in the cap (provide more air).

For my smaller anenome tank that is plumbed this way, I have the pipe at an angle with a screen over it.  The outside is as you describe.

Thanks all for your replies.  This gives me a few ideas to toy around with.

I tried turning the pipe at an angle, but it still gurgles way too much.  In looking at the rate of water flowing over the L, I think it is just way too much to keep up with.  So, tonight I'll try to reduce the return with the t-valve.  If that doesn't work, I'll try the t pipe with end cap.  We'll see how it goes.

This thing has become my nemesis... :angry:

Cheers

Mike

This thing has become my nemesis...

Been there, done that  :D

Much as it shames me to admit it took me about 6 months of messing with a u-tube overflow to get anywhere near quiet (and it's not quiet, just ask my wife)

The saga continues....

Okay, I tried the t pipe with endcap (hole drilled in top).  It reduced the noise a little, but not nearly enough.

I then cut the return line and installed a t-valve and reduced the flow while also turning the L at an angle.  This seems to have the best effect, but I can still hear the gurgle somewhat.  My goal is to get this thing totally quiet, as it sits about 5 feet away from the bed (studio apt...), and I don't want to think I am in the bathtub every night while I am sleeping.....

So, this morning on my way out, I stopped to try a little something.  I put a black, filter sponge in the L.  It was totally and completely silent.  Michael - this might be similar to the same thing you do with the screen.  My fear here is that the sponge will become clogged and/or the water won't drain fast enough and the tank will flow over the top.  Maybe the solution here is to cut a hole all the way through the sponge as a "backup."  I dunno...  I'll mess around with it.

Oh yeah, Erik - what did you mean by "try a bit of airline in the opening in the tank."  I don't quite follow.

Thanks again all.

Mike

I think what Erik is talking about as the airline in the opening in the tank is to put it inside the L and have it extend through the drilled hole and down the drain line in back of the tank. This makes the water hug the side of the plumbing and not free fall. When water free falls it makes noise as it lands back on the plumbing pipe at the bottom of the drain. I've tried this and it does help some.

Somehow I missed the replies here - lol - anyway I was talking about putting it in the tank, mostly just to test & see if it's an airflow issue. As craby mentions, if you put it down the airhole it will help keep reduce the noise.

Just some "shots in the dark" really.

You know, people pay good money for those stupid little pots that make gurgling water noises.  Just convince your SO that you are saving the money that one of those would cost you, and that you should be able to spend that extra money that you just saved on a new coral.  So far this method has worked fine for me.

You know, people pay good money for those stupid little pots that make gurgling water noises.  Just convince your SO that you are saving the money that one of those would cost you, and that you should be able to spend that extra money that you just saved on a new coral.  So far this method has worked fine for me.

LOL!  Actually, this is my SO's tank!  But, I am the one who convinced her to get it drilled as opposed to using the overflow box.

Anyway, I reduced the flow and put a prefilter sponge (with a hole cut through the middle for safety reasons, in case it gets clogged) in the elbow.  This seems to have the best combo effect.  Noise is nearly totally gone.  If I can score some airline tubing, I'll mess around with that, as I would always like to increase the flow a bit more while also saving on pump life.

Thanks all for the ideas.

Cheers

Mike

in the hole you drilled for the modified durso make it as big as a RODI shut off valve then plug the RODI valve into it. it will allow for more air and is easier to dial in. got that tip from Tgallo.