photoshop for sizing pics for gallery

michaelg

OK some of you may have wondered why I haven't put any pics in the gallery- it's not because I don't have a camera.  I do infact, and actually have some decent pics, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get this very expensive computer program called adobe photoshop, to let me resize a pic and still have it look decent.  Now I have noticed phtoshop has a mind of it's own some times when it comes to telling you what size things really are, but I'm a bit flustered.  What settings to people use- namely, if I go to image size menu, set resolution for 72, what width/heiight should I set it for, and what size should it come out to to get it uploaded.  None of the links nathan put up for other software work on a Mac.  Please- don't be a smart censord.gif and tell me to get a PC.  I won't listen to ya!

you can try this tip but im not sure if it will work for mac

i guess the best thing to do would be to play around with it to see the best settings you like. there are tons of photoshop forums just ask jeeves.

as far as having a mac...... for professional use and for picture use mac is the best. but i love my dells. HTH G

Here is what I use per Nathan's help.

#1 Download "Photo Resizer" program that he has listed on the Gallery Page, save on your "C"/Hard Drive

#2 Take picture and save/download/scan to your "Desktop"

#3 Using "PR", open picture, hit resize button and save back to picture on your Desktop as a .jpg file. It's seems with the new camera, MOST of them will not allow picture to be resized enough to make our 60KB limits. SO...

#4 Go to "START", "PROGRAMS", "ACCESSORIES" and open "IMAGING FOR WINDOWS" or in your case (I'm guessing here), "IMAGING FOR MAC".

#5 Go to FILE to OPEN/or click on Open Folder on toolbar and reopen the picture again. Some times mine opens at about 125% or more in size. For viewing pictures, change to 100% or less and SAVE to picture AGAIN on your desktop.

#6 REPEAT STEP 3 again saving picture to picture on Desktop.

This usually has taken a 1MB picture down to about 300KB to about 30-40KB making limit.

#7 Go to WAMAS Gallery, Either LOGIN or if you don't have one PM Nathan to get one and click on UPLOAD PHOTOS, Go to DESKTOP, Find Picture, Click on it and you should be good to go!

Good Luck!

Howard

[0]

Michael,

Depending on what version of PhotoShop you have.  In 7.0 & up there should be a save for web option under file.  Try 640x480 try low or medium quality to get the file size down.

If you don't have this option, or need more help. Just call me as I could spend the rest of the day trying to "type" you through it.

Mike,

I don't know much about Mac's, so I don't know how much of what I do in Winders will translate.  I use PhotoShop 7, but this is also what I did in ver. 6.  

Open the picture in PhotoShop.  One thing I might do to reduce picture size is to crop it... if cropping makes sense.  If you want the whole picture, skip this...   Use the "dotted line" tool and select the area you want and choose crop from the image menu.  Image is now cropped and either small enough or can be further down sized.  

This is how I resize the image.  On the bar above the picture I "right-click" it and choose "image size".  The pop up window among other things shows the heighth and width in pixels.  You can then reduce the "width" pixel size to say 250.  Make sure you have the options enabled to keep the proportions and resample the picture.  Locking the proportions will change the other pixel size dimension on the fly.  The options for this are also on the same window and should be on by default.  

The next file size saver is what format to save it in.  Via the "save for web" you can save it as a jpeg or gif file.  Both will save you file size over the picture you just got finished editing.  A jpeg file can use various compressions to reduce the file size... it is also my favorite format for this type of application.