Invertebrate regeneralization

HowardofNOVA

News at 11! :)

About 3 weeks ago, I came into my office and noticed that the Coral Banded Shrimp had lost one of it Larger Claws!

I swear last week, it still had none, but today, I was checking out the tank and realized the son-of-a-gun had grown it COMPLETELY BACK!

I've heard about this but didn't realize that it happens so fast!

AWESOME!

Howard

I have a before, but quality and distance away are so far that you can't tell unfortunately.

I can post an after but just looks like others except left side is a tad smaller.

Howard

Guest D33rex
Yeah I had one, then bought another.  They both immiediatly ripped one arm off each other. Then they both regrew in about a week.  I guess they made up because now one is constantly pregnant.

Hi,

How do you know the shrimp is pregnant?

BTW. I have seen my coral banded shrimp re-grew the claw two weeks ago. It's amazing to see that happen!

most curstaeceans that i have seen will grow back claws or legs. some times it happens within a molt or two but i have seen them start a nub then POW! there it is, i guess it is there evolutionary shortcut.

Tom, to see if the shrimp is pregnant you have to look at the swimmerettes under the tail and they will have egg masses on them.

They get the claw back during the next molt. It does not just pop out of no where. It's generally smaller than the other remaining one but by the next molt they are usually the same size. If they don't get it back or loose limbs during a molt, look at the amount of iodine in your system.

That's another reason why they have little pinchers right next to the big ones so they can still feed themselves should both get lost while protecting itself.

Chip

Guest D33rex
One of them has a turquoise pouch on the underside of the belly that fills up with what I can only imagine are spawn, although Ive never actually seen it happen.

Either way, this is awesome how mother nature handles itself in this way! If anyone's happen to have one that loose something, a picture sequence would be cool to see?

OK, don't create it just witness it if it does!

wndr

Howard

Actually, someone did the experiments decades ago.  I should dredge up some of my old papers and do a review of the hormonal control of crustacean molting.

when i worked at the zoo we had a freshwater prawn its claws back in between molts, it lost them during a molt, the blue crabs that came to us missing limbs, some would start nubs but then get the legs back with the next molt.

Guest goblinshark
Yea, my mantis lost a smasher and two weeks later she molted and turned bright green (from red) and got a new smasher, pretty sweet deal!

dave maybe you can post some of the papers you did on the site, you could make it like a artlicle that those guys on reefcentral do. i think it would be interesting to see. or maybe a mini paper or article.

If I can get my act together, I'll write something.  It all started as an obsession about iodine and crustacean molting (still haven't found anything in the scientific literature in 2 years of hunting), but I managed to dredge up a lot about the molt cycle along the way.  Very little being done these days, but there's a great old review by Dorothy Skinner about the hormonal control of molting and how it's regulated by limb loss.

Here is the after picture. Just over 2 weeks after losing its right claw! (Ok, his left, our right)

122Coral_Banded_Shrimp-med.jpg

Patient doing fine!

Howard

If I can get my act together, I'll write something.  It all started as an obsession about iodine and crustacean molting (still haven't found anything in the scientific literature in 2 years of hunting), but I managed to dredge up a lot about the molt cycle along the way.  Very little being done these days, but there's a great old review by Dorothy Skinner about the hormonal control of molting and how it's regulated by limb loss.

good, that leave the field wide open for me when i get around to taking my bio classes....  or chem classes