roozens?

Guest goblinshark

Guest goblinshark

Im thinking of going down thereto get asome fish and inverts for my tank, i was just wondering wat ppl think of it cause its seems pretty devided.   And from thier website, the prices dont look too bad.  Any opinions?

PS: most likly getting a piar of flasher or filimented wrasse, and some hermits and snails

While we may be "devided" - I am a Roozens fan.  You need to know what you are doing, but that is pretty true of all pet stores.

Guest clownfish4
The selection and prices at Roozens have drawn me in.  Just be sure to quarrantine everything you buy from them and NEVER allow their water to enter your tank.

Guest goblinshark

thanks guys, has anyone beenm there recently(ie this weekend)?

If so, did you see if they had any flasher wrasse

FWIW I do not have a QT and have had no problems with Roozen fish.

Caution: My experience my not reflect the average experience.  Any thing I communicate should be deemed highly suspect.  [pcwin

I don't buy from Roozens anymore, This year 4 fish purchases 4 deaths in QT within 3 days of purchase, 3 inverts same, dead by next morning in QT, only luck i've had with Roozens livestock have been some bright green Ricordia. ???

i'd rather buy online for fish, at least you get a 5 or 7 day stay alive guarantee.  tng

Anton

out of 4 fish i bought there only 1 died. used long acclimation for them same with 5 cleaner shrimp. they are all still alive too. the only other thing that died from them was a very large monti cap this is just my experience so far so good..... :)

They won't coddle you- And if you expect to see if a fish is eating before you take it home- think again.

It is a tough place for beginners to see because of its impossible stocking levels in the tanks and low prices encourage impulse buying. You really need to know what you are looking at, and what you want, diseases and all before buying- Things normally last about 7 days or less in their tanks before being moved. That much volume begs to have every known bacterial/viral/parasitic malady known- Just dip and quarantine for at least two weeks before acclimating to your main display. All this being said if you are looking for a special fish/invert you can just about be guaranteed they will have it or have in  shortly. For example if you are looking for a powder blue tang - they will not have just one they will have a dozen- just know what you are looking for in eyes, head, fins, flesh ect. All this being said I would buy from them again, but only some items and with a take it very slow approach.

Guest maestro774
I think the place is amazing, its great for window shopping.  I've had good luck with everything I've bought there, 3 fish, 2 cleaner shrimp and a couple corals, all are healthy.  When I was first starting out I picked out a fish I wanted, and the guy working said he wouldn't sell it to me becuase it was sick.  I didn't notice anything wrong.  The only thing I would stay away from is their live rock, I bought a couple pieces and it was riddled with aptaisia.

Actually,

I'm have them high on their list for LR, nice selection and next to TRT, the best pricing in the area!

IMO, these are the facts about Roozens

#1 Best selection in the area

#2 Because they do from what I'm told alot of wholeselling, they move alot of inventory very quickly - hence always huge turnover - hence high mortality rate...so you need to quarantine what you get from there, because FWIW, they don't take the time.

...I've talked with other LFS and they too have losses of new stock during shipments, but due to the numbers, theirs are just more in the open...if that makes sense.

#3 As I mentioned, with The Reef Tank, best pricing on LR, Salt, some supplies, etc in the area.

Like with most business, they either specialize in mass quanities of a product and service and work on volume or charge premium for quality. Unfortunately, we sometimes can have it both ways!

Again, just my opinion :)

Howard

Well he started it!  [tr]

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to jump in.  Roozen's is far from the best,  but I don't want to start this debate again.  

Mike's advice is best of all.  Your first line of defense is education.  Participating here is a very good start.

-Tom

Guest goblinshark
well, everything i got (1skunk shrimp, 1 flasher wrasse, 1 shrimp goby)  is doing great!  I am very pleased and need to go back and get the male Flasher wrasse.  :laugh:

I fully agree with Tom.  While the place may have the largest selection in the area, it is a very very sad statement when we say "this is the best we have".  I made a huge mistake taking my daughter there the other day (or perhaps not) and she must have told me 10x's that they do a horrible job taking care of the fish.  This is from a 9 year old who was saddened by all the dead fish in the tanks.  We left with some snails and that was it.  I did see a fish I was looking for, but could not bring myself to take a $75 risk on the fish.

Guest Moa
as an aside, many folks make a trek when they go out to roozens (for me it's on the way home from work).  if you're making the drive I might suggest stopping by ultimate saltwater aquariums.  www.usaquariums.net.  My wife bought my nanocube and I picked up my LR there.  The LR was really priced well and was excellent.  I haven't returned since Anderson (the owner) re-opened after his fire but have heard that his store will be expanding further.  The staff there is friendly from my past experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

I have shopped there too.  I agree with the quarantine suggestions.  I like to think of it as a glimpse of what the fish at Marine Scene, TRT, etc. went through to get there.  My advice would be quarantine, and let the buyer beware.  But, they do have an amazing selection.

I was also there one day when they were unloading a shipment.  Lets just say their acclimation procedures left a bit to be desired.

acclimation procedures left a bit to be desired.

Just a bit...

Open shipping box

Open bag

Put fish in copper treated system

or

dip in copper bath for a few seconds and put in non-copper treated invert system.

Oh, ever seen 10 tangs along with a dozen or more other fish in a 40 gal tank?

And I wont mention all the IO buckets full of dead/dying fish....

I have had great success with all fish and inverts from Roozens, I never quarantine any fish, I believe it does more harm than good. You just have to be smart about your purchases and know what you are buying. If theres any sign or doubt of its health or behavoir, leave it alone. I do however recommend checking very carefully for any hitchhikers on rock or corals before you add it to your system. This goes for every store in the country. Dont be mad at roozens if you had a bad experience, they dont make you buy it, be mad at yourself.

Joe.