Heads Up for DC residents

BeltwayBandit

Shouldn't make any difference as long as the 'ol RO/DI filters are current, right?

Guest Larry-T

Yup, but for those who just chemically treat the tap water to remove chloramine, it is important info. (NADC comes to mind....)

that's a good point. I've been checking out the chemical labels and all I've seen is that those that handle chloramine also handle chlorine. Apparently the way they work is to first break the chloramine apart into the ammonia and chlorine and then neutralize the chlorine. So hopefully it shouldn't be a problem, but folks should check their chemical labels.

that's a good point. I've been checking out the chemical labels and all I've seen is that those that handle chloramine also handle chlorine. Apparently the way they work is to first break the chloramine apart into the ammonia and chlorine and then neutralize the chlorine. So hopefully it shouldn't be a problem, but folks should check their chemical labels.

Thats good to know. It has been 5 or more years since I used water treatments to remove chloramine from tap water, so I'm a bit rusty on the process. I was just going on the text in the article that mentioned aquarists should be aware of the switch. Thanks for the additional info.

Most containers will cover both but safe to check.

Does it say why they are switching back?

Most switch from chlorine to chloramine

It wasn't clear why, but I got the impression that it will be a brief switch from chloramine to chlorine for maintenance reasons and then back to chloramine. (I have no idea why, how, or what they are doing that would precipitate the switch.)

It wasn't clear why, but I got the impression that it will be a brief switch from chloramine to chlorine for maintenance reasons and then back to chloramine. (I have no idea why, how, or what they are doing that would precipitate the switch.)

My guess is they don't know either so don't feel clueless.

Guest Larry-T

I used to work in wastewater treatment and I know that many large cities do periodic "shock treatment" where they put in heavy doses of chlorine, which is much more reactive, but less persistant, than chloramine, in order to get rid of a buildup of bacteria in the system.

I used to work in wastewater treatment and I know that many large cities do periodic "shock treatment" where they put in heavy doses of chlorine, which is much more reactive, but less persistant, than chloramine, in order to get rid of a buildup of bacteria in the system.

Ahh ok. We used to do that periodically on the ship too. Everyone griped that it gave them the runs. Granted when your dosing consists of dumping a bottle of chlorox down the sounding tube, its pretty easy to screw up the dose. (I think the shock treatment was administered based on how long we had the water onboard. Our wing tanks often went months without being used and the water just sat there.)

Guest beatle
Fairfax County does the same thing for 3 months as part of their "spring cleaning." I spoke with one of their chemists who was nice enough to put me on the list when they make the change. I can generally smell the difference at the tap before the call, however. :drink: :)