Skimmer off-line should I be worried?

stevil

My skimmer pump died... By the time I can actually do something about it, it will be at least 24-36 hours without a skimmer. My return pump, tank pumps, lights, heater, macroalgae loaded refugium and 160 lbs of live rock in my 90 gallon are all good. I've lightly fed over the past few days and haven't fed since the problem surfaced.

Should I be worried? Anything else I should do to mitigate any risk?

I agree. You'll be fine. I had a CoraLife Super Skimmer 220 on my tank for a year or so. That's almost like not having a skimmer at all ( ;) ) and my tank survived.

I would definitly get the skimmer up and running asap. Your livestock is used to having the water well oxygenated by the skimmer. Who knows? Did you want my pump? It works off and on at least and would at least help until you get another pump.

Edited by jamesbuf

I had my skimmer off for 6 months on 2 tanks and everything did well even SPS. I'm sure you'll be fine for a week or so, just monitor your livestock condition every 6-8 hours and see if there's any impact on system.

You'll be fine, but do a normal sized water change if you're paranoid and have not already done one recently. :)

I actually turn mine off when I notice it looks nasty and inefficient, but I don't have time to clean it...like when I'm running out the door to work or something. Note that my tank is relatively lightly stocked.

I had my skimmer off for 6 months on 2 tanks and everything did well even SPS. I'm sure you'll be fine for a week or so, just monitor your livestock condition every 6-8 hours and see if there's any impact on system.