clam problem

Guest D33rex

Guest D33rex
Ive had a clam for over a year now, I have 2 175s and 110 pc.  A week or so ago, he stopped opening up all the way...he only opens up on one end now.  He even let go of the rock he has been on since I bought him.  Anyone have any idea what could have pissed him off?...or what to try?

If you have had it for two years, unless you have introduced anything new lately, your livestock should not be bothering it.

Do not remove it form the rock, you will likely rip the foot and end up killing it.  Do you know what type of clam it is?   Does it react to movement?  When you say it only opens upon one end, does that mean the mantle is fully retracted inside the shell, or not as expanded as the other end?

You can try a freshwater dip, which does help.  If you do that, when you remove it examine it closely all over and see if you see any small snails.  Pyramid snails are known for attacking clams.

However, the sad truth is that once clams start to go, it is very hard to save them.  Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest D33rex
Thanks for the input guys, I have dipped him and actually did move him because he completely detached from  the rock he had been on forever.  He appears to be doing slightly better, but only time will tell.