new plumbing

shawns

hey everybody! im doing some new plumbing on the tank tonight(sqwd setup). i wanted to know, how long after glueing the pipes how long should i wait to put them into the tank? an hour? overnight? 10 minutes?

just not sure when it's safe to put the plumbing into the tank. i certainly dont want to learn something the hard way and have some unforseen casulties.

thanks guys

hey everybody! im doing some new plumbing on the tank tonight(sqwd setup). i wanted to know, how long after glueing the pipes how long should i wait to put them into the tank? an hour? overnight? 10 minutes?

just not sure when it's safe to put the plumbing into the tank. i certainly dont want to learn something the hard way and have some unforseen casulties.

thanks guys

Are you talking about PVC pipe with primer and pvc glue? I'd wait at least a full minute, just to be sure - but for low pressure applications, 3 seconds is probably enough. Primer on both pieces - dries in a few seconds. Glue on one or both pieces - twist together (fairly quickly). Count to three - and just TRY to get that puppy apart! I'm no plumber, but I had to run about 60 feet of pvc for a sump pump outlet, and have re-plumbed my septic pump-up tank a few times. Oh... and I installed a toilet (first experience with 4" pvc).

It's fun! Imagine trying to do all of that with steel pipe!

bob

In terms of the seal holding, a minute is plenty.

But although I'll breathe those solvents, there's no way I want my fish to. So I put the new work out to air overnight if I have the option.

thanks guys

ok, thanks guys. i wasnt too worried about the bond, just the unknown that may happen to the tank. that stuff stinks more than mike rowe on dirty jobs!! since there is no, "ill effect" on the tank, i'll keep on pluggin away. maybe later on i'll post some pics of the project. it will most likely end up in diy forum.

thanks again

salty wamas members are my HERO!!!

One other thing to look at is the directions on the PVC cement. They will usually tell you how long before the glue is set for pressure applications. (The one I was using recently said 2 hours for the cement to cure). My opinion is to try and plan the project so that you glue the stuff first and then do some other things while giving the glue the longest possible time to cure. But, if you have to glue'n'go I would wait at least a half an hour just to be safe. You can also rinse the pipe really well with water after the glue sets (don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt).

BB

In terms of the seal holding, a minute is plenty.

But although I'll breathe those solvents, there's no way I want my fish to. So I put the new work out to air overnight if I have the option.

Excellent point! A minute is fine for water going OUT (sump pump); but I think I'd give it a little longer before I wanted to drink out of it... or ask my fish to.

bob

I'm not suggesting you do this, but...

I've actually spilled a fair bit of PVC glue into tank water before. It seems to harden on contact and float on the surface of the water. THEN if you touch it, it sticks to you. Wasn't able to see any harm to fish or coral.

Again, do not pour a bottle of PVC cement into your tank and blame me if something dies.