Who locally drills tanks?

rocko918

Haven't yet, but plan on doing both! I have a 110g that I have disassembled and will plan on drilling it first. Haven't decided if I'm going to go the dremel route or buy a bit. I'm doing that first before I invest and $$ (I need new top and bottom frames) so If I mess it up, nothing really lost (tank was free). I will then remove all old caulk and reglue and seal the tank (after ordering new frames $30 each - ouch!). At first thought about using 100% silicone from HD, but after close inspection, tube says "not for continual underwater use", so I'll spend the $8/tube of aquarium sealant from LFS.

Rick

Here is a link that explains the basics of glass drilling with a diamond core bit   http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/W9.htm  It is certainly doable and not rocket science.  I have used the Dremel method and diamond bit route.. they both work.  The diamond bit is quicker and easier of course IMO.    

Ameri-Glass also sell bits for relatively cheap BTW.  I wonder if people might be willing to go in on a bit/s that could be shared and used within WAMAS.  Maybe WAMAS might purchase the bits and charge a nominal fee based on bit life expectancy to cover wear and replacement?  Just tossing out some ideas.

Guest AlgaeMaN
I drill tanks if anyone is interested. I have a drill bit for a 1 1/2" bulkhead

I drill tanks if anyone is interested. I have a drill bit for a 1 1/2" bulkhead

I am lucky enough to live very close to the reef tank and asked about drilling tonight while i was there. They do it for 15 a hole.

AlgaeMaN would you come out here to do it? If i wanted your help would you come out here? I know you are in Fredrick which is about an hour from here i think. Not sure it would be worth your time. Thanks for the offer.

I have another question. I talked to Grim lastnight about the drilling. I was thinking i would drill the bottom and put in a overflow. He suggested just drilling the back and using bulkheads. Does anyone have this type of setup?  Or would you recommend something else?

What would you do if you had a 110 you were going to drill.

Thanks

Bob

That's exactly what I have is a 110g. I'm planning on using the half of hang on overflow that goes inside the tank, drilling a hole in the bottom, installing a bulkhead, plumbing down with an elbow near the bottom and out the back of tank via bulkhead, drilling through and out the back. The skimmer box if you will (I have two) will be attached to the inside top of the tank in each rear corner.

Does that make sense?

Rick

When you say near the bottom, are you talking about the bottom of the tank or the overflow box? So you would have a pipe going from the overflow box down to the bulkhead which is near the bottom of the tank and out the back.

Why wouldn't you just drill the hole out the back near the top so you don't have a pipe going down the tank?

I guess it doesn't matter where you drill out the back of the back of the tank, as long as there's gravity to carry the water to the sump. This is just the way the guy at Marine Scene explained it to me.

Guest AlgaeMaN
just drill two holes for a 1" or 1 1/2 bulkhead in the back glass. Drill them about 6" down from the top to the center of the hole. Then you can use a 90 degree pvc elbo with a screw in strainer.

just drill two holes for a 1" or 1 1/2 bulkhead in the back glass. Drill them about 6" down from the top to the center of the hole. Then you can use a 90 degree pvc elbo with a screw in strainer.

IS there any disadvantage of doing it this way?

Guest AlgaeMaN
The only disadvantage I can think of is that you will have to clean the strainers often. If you buy 4 strainers then you will always have two on hand to replace while cleaning the dirty ones. I did my 215g and 300g this way.

The only reservation I have with straight usage of bulkheads w/out a durso or stockman type of device is water noise.  If it were me I would drill near the top w/ enough space to allow for overflow into an overflow box mounted on the inside.  I would make the overflow box just large enough to house the  inside plumbing and allow for reasonable overflow.  With a durso, this would essentially be a street-el directly into the bulkhead.  The water level with a durso should be somewhere around the center of the street-el if you wanted to do some water level projections for the overflow.  Since the bulkhead is at the top, there would be no need have the box extend to the bottom of the tank and take up a corner, corners or center portion of the tank.  The overflow box would effectively control the water level within the tank.  If I was drilling a new tank today... that is how I would do it.  Eons ago, I drilled mine on the side at the bottom... never again for me.

Guest AlgaeMaN

If you use 1 1/2 bulkheads with these strainers on your 110g you will barely hear the overflows. I'm using an Iwaki 55 and can't hear the overflows at all. If you use 1" bulkheads they will be a little noisier.

Strainers

I use an internal overflow box with 2 - 2" bulkheads drilled out the back just behind the overflow box.

The top of the overflow box is about 3/8" below were I wanted the water level to be while pumping.

If you drill them down 6 inches are you losing space in the tank? The water line will be low, right?  So i would have to build the hood so it will cover the water line. Am i losing space this way? I mean if my water line is 6 inches down from the top, I would lose like 10 gallons?  

Am i way off here?

If i would use th overflow i can postion it so i won't lose that space.  

????

Guest AlgaeMaN
You can raise the overflows to whatever level you want using pvc. Its 6" down to the center of the hole.. Its better to drill them to low than to high.

Hey Chris, What size tank is that? I have not gotten my tank drilled yet and was thinking of going with 2 holes. I see you went with on in the center.  Any benefits with going with one?  

Thanks