Will they Make it?

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Ok, I am thinking that I should just go ahead and pickup some more snails and crabs this weekend.  I think someone has hijacked all my ceriths. :(  The Reefstore looks like they have some pretty good prices on them, atleast on line they seem to. :)  I could head down Saturday to get them, but we have a Christmas party (also down in that area that night) to go to also.  Would they be ok for a few hours?  I could put them in a cooler and sneak them inside, or would they be ok outside?  (not sure how our hosts would feel about having snails and crabs in their house)  

I figure time wise they should be ok, since they get shipped and are in bags for a longer time than that.

Anways, any suggestions or ideas?

]]]thx

My bet would be no problem to put them in a plastic bag and then into a cooler in the trunk for 4-5 hours- again you see them shippped for 24+ hours in less packing such as news paper- And crabs/snails are a bit more hardy than much of what is shippped.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.  If it's a small cooler that won't be invasive to your hosts, I would consider bringing them inside if possible.  Either way, they'd probably be fine...

Cheers

Mike

Guest mikesroth

Cool.  Now if I can just find someway to get there when they are still open. :D  They are like the furthest point of my normal 'Tour de Fishstores', so I always seem to get there just as they are closing or have closed. :(  Forget the 8pm on the weekdays, I want 8pm on the weekend. hehe

On a side note, is it me, or do they seem less expensive than Reeftopia?  I may just not be compairing the same critters.

Guest mikesroth
LOL, actually I am slightly worried about bringing them in for that reason.... :)  These folks while being the types to try Escargot.... Do tend to relive their days of College drinking... Not sure that is a safe mixture if you have snails. :)

Mike,

I concur  [tu] about the TRT,

Mike and Grim and the gang have been making some nice strides lately (updated store, website, prices, products, etc) on what was before a great place to p/u deals on fish, supplies and equipment.

As far as the inverts go, small cooler should do the trick. Not sure where your going to be at, but more than welcome to drop them off to babysit if you feel better about keeping them inside? I'm right off 50E off the beltway, second light, L of Allen Dr, R. on Rogers?

Howard

A cooler with some packing such as newspaper should be fine I would think for several hours in your car.  Being hunting season, disposable and reusable pocket/boot warmers are in Wal-Marts, Target and so forth if you are still worried.  That is also depending on how cool it is.  I haven't seen the extended weather report, but today and last night weren't exactly artic conditions.  Don't forget to show your WAMAS card for your discount.

Guest mikesroth

Oh yeah... Thanks Dave!!!  

Now I can justify this with the wife even easier... :)  

Let's see if I can use her logic back on her.  How can I pass this up, we are basically making money on this deal.... :D

Guest mikesroth
Uh oh... I was planning on getting some.  That was my other justification, "Hey Honey, Look at this neat looking snails, we should get some."