Sun coral not coming out to eat.

Guest FZ1Rider

Guest FZ1Rider

I've had a Sun coral since Sat night. For the first feew days it was always out and happy. After some reading I may have been under feeding it with only half a cube of mysis shrimp a day but I don't think that would cause the current problem.

A few of the polyops won't com out to feed. The are stretch out to their full extent but they do not open.

I'f tried to spray some cyclopeez on them to entice them out put it hasn't worked that well.

Water params are good

Amm - 0

NO2 - 0

NO3 - 0

PH - 8.3

Salinity - 1.026

Temp 79-80.5

The coral is in a fair amount of light right now. I'll move it tonight to see if it get's any better in the shade but I did check over night and it did not come out to feed.

I don't have a pic right now but can get one if need be.

Thanks for any advice,

Peter

Sun corals like ledges and caves, they do not like direct sunligh. I have six heads of suncorals (Tubastrea) and they all hide from the sun. They comeout mostly when the Actinics are on and the MH are off, and through the night.

This is what I got in my records for this type of coral. The Orange Sun Coral is a Large Polyp Stony corals (LPS) from the Family: Dendrophyliidae, Tubastrea, Species: faulkneri. The common name of Orange "Sun" Coral is misleading, since this is a coral that should be placed in low to no lighting with a medium current. Also, this coral lacks zooxanthellae, the microorganisms, which turns sunlight into food for corals. In the wild, Tubastrea are found upside down at the entrance of caves because their waters supply a very rich diet of plankton and nutrients. Due to the lack of zooxanthellae, this coral needs to be fed regularly, such as twice per day, however, it will depend upon the coral. When a coral is hungry or senses food, it will extend its' feeding tenticles. I feed small crustaceans and fish larvae, mysis and brine shrimp, chopped seafood and excess pods, cyclopeeze and golden pearl. You must feed every solitary polyp or else the colony will die from hair algae attacking its' weakened skeleton.

This coral will benefit from the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements weekly to the water. These corals are a bright orange, and may not come out during the day, yet they are still very beautiful when closed. Some may be coaxed into opening earlier by feeding them. About 35 minutes before lights off, he is just starting to open up after having been fed.

Guest FZ1Rider

Yeah, that's the issue. It's not coming out at night either. I check many times last night.

Peter

Mine did that for some time either. So for some time I was feeding it in a Tupperware container every night. It's back to normal.

However I also heard they might not open when they bud babies. Not sure how much truth in this though.

Guest FZ1Rider

However I also heard they might not open when they bud babies. Not sure how much truth in this though.

I've read the same, so maybe that is it.

I'l do the tupperware thing (someone else sent that to me in a PM as well)

Thanks,

Peter

Did you get the sun coral from Marine Scene? I bought some from them recently and mine had not come out either. I have other sun coral in my tank that are well aclimated and are doing fine. They might be stressed. They really seem to like cyclopeds though. Try putting that in the water after the blue lights come and the mh's go out. Also, try building a ledge over them so they are in the shade and have a powehead close in moderate flow.

i have one i got about a month ago from scales and it is doing quite well. all of the dead polyps are being replaced already and it is starting to come out even when the halides are on. though its usually when they are about to go off. it has an excellent since of timing. i feed it pe mysis and brine shrimp and it always comes out for that. i have it placed such that it doesnt get alot of light though so maybe that could be it.

Guest FZ1Rider
(edited)

No I got it from Wally's.

here's a pic f how it first was:

sun-coral.jpg

so it's not that it came in bad shape. It popped right out and was out all day in the light for the first 2 or 3 days.

It may be that it's reproducing or that I've pissed it off. I'm going to try moving it and taking it out to feed tonight.

Peter

Edited by FZ1Rider

Guest FZ1Rider

Figured I'd post a quick followup.

After almost a week of not seeing any of the polyps out to feed the sun coral finally decided to bounce back and now is fully open today.

My daughter actually saw it this morning fully open and I fed it then. It is fully open again now (in a fair amount of light) and I plan to feed it after my wife gets home (she's been stressing about it being closed as well).

Thanks for all the pointers.

Peter.

excellent! i couldnt a imagine a tank without my sun coral i may get a second one as i love them so much. im glad yours is ok and its interesting to see one that is different from mine as it is the branching type.

excellent! i couldnt a imagine a tank without my sun coral i may get a second one as i love them so much. im glad yours is ok and its interesting to see one that is different from mine as it is the branching type.

If you are interested in a second one, let me know. I have a rock with 2 small clusters well 3 is you count the one cluster having orange and black together.....Black doing much better in my tank then the orange. Polyps come out and it feeds ok but have lost 3 polyps on one side due to feeding issues. (hard to reach from top of 90gal tank) Let me know if interested and I can take pics. Would be willing to trade.