Lighting Quandary

Guest JasonD

Guest JasonD

Hello Everyone,

After several years in the freshwater side of things, I finally got my boss (er, wife) on board with the idea that we need a marine setup. I want to start with a FOWLR system, with easy to keep fish and hardy inverts at first, in the 75-125 gallon size range. I can see me wanting to keep some hardier corals in a year or two.

One point where I really go bleary-eyed is on lighting. I know I need more than the twin strip of NO that you get in the pet store, but I don't want to spend thousands on a MH system, either. I like the look (and price) of the Coralife Lunar Aqualight series -- I'll get between 3-3.5 watts per gallon depending on what tank I get.

What do all you think about this light? What else should I consider that won't break the bank?

With this hobby - hard not to brake the bank. Actually, pretty impossible.

I think the best way to go is to get a T5 system. It can be pretty painless money wise. With PC lights, unfortunatelly you'll be very limited in number of organisma you can keep.

Many people who started with it - upgraded later.

However, if you are not planning to keep clams, anemonies, SPS mentioned setup will be good.

Guest JasonD

Is 4 feet the max size of T5 lights? If so, do you just get 2x3 foot strips on a 6 foot tank?

I have no experience with T5, but I would not use PC (too limiting if you did decide to try corals and such).

My recommendation would be to consider a 4 lamp VHO setup. If you build it yourself you can do it for about $300 for a 48" 4 bulb fixture. (Bulbs, Endcaps, Wiring Harness, Ballast, Power cord, and Reflector). (It would be about $230 for 2 bulb and $265 for a 3 bulb). Just for comparison. The price estimate is on the high end (I assumed $25/bulb but they run anywhere from $17-$25 online depending on which bulb you buy).

With a FOWLR you would probably only need a 2 bulb, but it wouldn't give you much light if you wanted to ever switch to coral. However, a 2 bulb system would be perfect for actinic supplementation if you upgraded later on to MH lighting along with moving to corals. Additionally, you could get a 2 bulb harness, and just replace it with a 4 bulb harness if/when you decide you want to keep corals.

Decisions decisions. :biggrin:

I have no experience with T5, but I would not use PC (too limiting if you did decide to try corals and such).

My recommendation would be to consider a 4 lamp VHO setup. If you build it yourself you can do it for about $300 for a 48" 4 bulb fixture. (Bulbs, Endcaps, Wiring Harness, Ballast, Power cord, and Reflector). (It would be about $230 for 2 bulb and $265 for a 3 bulb). Just for comparison. The price estimate is on the high end (I assumed $25/bulb but they run anywhere from $17-$25 online depending on which bulb you buy).

With a FOWLR you would probably only need a 2 bulb, but it wouldn't give you much light if you wanted to ever switch to coral. However, a 2 bulb system would be perfect for actinic supplementation if you upgraded later on to MH lighting along with moving to corals. Additionally, you could get a 2 bulb harness, and just replace it with a 4 bulb harness if/when you decide you want to keep corals.

Decisions decisions. :biggrin:

I have 4 bulbs VHO set-up over 125 gal and very happy with it. Can not keep high light SPS though.

I have 2 T5s and 2 VHOs on my 55. I really like my T5s, and I highly recommend them. My VHOs were from my previous setup, so I kept them. Also, the actinic light is better with VHO, so I think I have the best of both worlds.

If you have a canopy and can handle the DIY, here is an excellent deal on a retrofit kit for only $110 for 2 T5s (ballast, wiring, reflectors included, bulbs are $5 per tube extra - an amazing deal) ! This is nice, as you can have a bank of 2 actinics and a bank of 10,000k bulbs for only a $240 investment.

here is the link: http://www.hellolights.com/482x54wtekli.html

I have 2 T5s and 2 VHOs on my 55. I really like my T5s, and I highly recommend them. My VHOs were from my previous setup, so I kept them. Also, the actinic light is better with VHO, so I think I have the best of both worlds.

If you have a canopy and can handle the DIY, here is an excellent deal on a retrofit kit for only $110 for 2 T5s (ballast, wiring, reflectors included, bulbs are $5 per tube extra - an amazing deal) ! This is nice, as you can have a bank of 2 actinics and a bank of 10,000k bulbs for only a $240 investment.

here is the link: http://www.hellolights.com/482x54wtekli.html

What color T5 do you use?

They do make 60" T5 bulbs and 70" VHO, so if you go 125gallon I would go with these. If you're just going to do fish right now, then I would just do 2-4 retrofit T5 or VHO. Then down the road when you want to start housing corals, you can just add in 2-3 retro Metal Halides depending on tank size of course. And just use the existing retrofit T5 or VHO for your actinic bulbs.

(edited)

What color T5 do you use?

I went with 10,000k Geismanns (sp?) They look very white, not blue at all. This works well with the VHO actinics. Actually I currently have one VHO actinic and one 50/50 (50% actinic and 50% sunlight - probably a 10,000k bulb).

It is surprising to see the difference when the T5s are on and when they are off. My zoas turn (well - appear)green when the T5s are off. I have the VHOs on for an hour before and an hour after the T5s. I have the T5s on for about 11 hours a day.

Edited by quazi

Chart your upgrade path and break it out over time.

First - what kind of canopy to you want (if any)? If you choose to not have one, and have an open tank, then, depending on your asthetic needs, you may want to purchase a self-contained lighting system that fits nicely over your tank.

However, if you are planning on having a wooden canopy to cover your tank, you have some more flexibility. You can still buy various self-contained units, but you also have more options when it comes to various levels of lighting configuration.

If you use retro-fit or DIY lighting that makes it far more cost effective over the long run without a hefty investment in lights on day 1.

In my opinion, you'd be fine for a FOWLR with 2 VHO's (or 2 T5's) for a 75-125 gallon (as long as it is not a deep tank). If you do it yourself (mount the lights to your canopy) you can expand as necessary as you progress.

I had 2 strips of VHO on my 90 gallon for 9 months before I decided to add 2 strips of T5's. I have a custom wooden canopy that is about a foot tall. With just the VHO's I was able to keep soft corals (mushrooms, toadstool, zooanthids) just fine: coralline grew, alge was in check, etc. Once I added the 2 T5's I've been able to keep some of the LPS and SPS corals, along with an anemone.

Personally I like VHO actnics vs T-5 actinics. So now have 2 VHO actnics, a 10k T-5 and a 6500k T5.

A DIY 2 setup consisting of 48" T-5 bulbs and individual reflectors with a ballast and wiring harness cost me ~$160 from BRK. I had to wire it - I can't say it was the funnest thing I've ever done, but it was a good experience.

Guest JasonD

Nobody seems to like PC lighting...is there something wrong with it?

To me, the fish are the centerpiece of any tank. The "motile" invertebrates like shrimp and crabs are next in interest. The LR and any attached organisms are simply a backdrop. I've never been interested in corals, and don't see myself wanting the complication of caring for them.

My #1 concern for the lights is showing the fish at their best at a reasonable price.

Nobody seems to like PC lighting...is there something wrong with it?

To me, the fish are the centerpiece of any tank. The "motile" invertebrates like shrimp and crabs are next in interest. The LR and any attached organisms are simply a backdrop. I've never been interested in corals, and don't see myself wanting the complication of caring for them.

My #1 concern for the lights is showing the fish at their best at a reasonable price.

Nothing wrong with them. I have PC Orbit over my 42 gal seahorse tank. I just know I can not possibly add light demanding corals there. Blue Anthelia and zoas are doing great there though.

(edited)

PC lights also go bad way quicker than T5s. I'm pretty sure T5s have close to 3 times the bulb life, needing only be replace every 1.5 years or so. PC wont even come close to a year. Once bulbs start to get old, the spectrum of light that comes out changes to the kind of light that promotes nuisance algaes. Once nuisance algae starts to grow, it is a pain in the a$$ to get rid of. Just make sure you start off with a tang if your tank is big enough.

The liverock is important because its your filter system, having bacteria that will break down your fish's waste products. Without the liverock, the waste will build up and kill said fish.

Its not that we have anything against PC lights, its just that they are old technology and the experienced hobbyists on this site know enough to not recommend them. Some local fish stores may recommend them to make a sale, but we make no profit whatsoever off the advice we give. We just want you to be successful, that all.

I got into the hobby many many years ago and had a FOWLR tank. Having triggers, puffers, and other aggressive fish was cool and I loved giving them feeders. But I came to realize that you are severely limited in what you can put in the tank with aggressive fish. I got tired of going to the local fish stores and realizing I couldn't buy 90% of the livestock, which is why I switched. There are many different way to have a successful saltwater tank, you just gotta find out what floats your boat. And also realize that your tastes may change, as has happened with many other members here. I myself am on my third skimmer, if I had just listened to the advice of the members on wamas, I would've saved the money of buying the first two skimmers.

Edited by jamesbuf

Guest JasonD
(edited)

All right, you guys convinced me, T5 is the way to go. If I don't get a canopy, can someone suggest a T5 fixture?

EDIT: How 'bout this one? T5 Fixture

Edited by JasonD

Whatever you choose, be sure to get one with individual reflectors, to increase the light output. Many folks seem to like the TEK fixtures.

Whatever you choose, be sure to get one with individual reflectors, to increase the light output. Many folks seem to like the TEK fixtures.

I like my TEK.

bob

I like my TEK as well. Ditto for me on the lights, btw. I started with PCs, went to T5s without individual reflectors, and finally bought the 6 bulb TEK unit w/ individual reflectors. The difference between T5s with and without the individual reflectors is gigantic.