Montipora Cap Question

madmax7774

(edited)

If a Montipora Cap bleaches white over a large portion of the cap, does that necessarily mean it's dead? I swear it looks like this things is still growing. Anyone know for sure?

John

:cheers:

Edited by madmax7774

is it white on the underside or on top?

Totally white on the underside, and 75% of the top turned white over a 2 day period. The other 25% is still orange, and the white has stop spreading on top. It has been this way for several weeks now. I swear it looks like it is still growing. It's weird. At first I was convinced it was dead, but honestly, I'm not so sure anymore...

It is my experience that bleaching DOES NOT mean that the coral is dead. I have had some bleach (they turned white but they were still extending their polyps) and then make a miraculous recovery.

If you can see any polyp extension in the white area its just bleached. Is there any algae growth starting on the white areas? If there is algae growth, film, etc on the white areas then it is most likely some type of die off or tissue recession. If you could post a pic that would help.

Mine bleached and I thought it was dead for weeks. Then it started coming back and now is brown and growing fast. (I think it was originally greenish or blue in dhoch's tank. I started with a tiny tiny frag).

phisigs gave me a frag of montipora months ago that was almost all the way bleached (I requested it) and only after a few months it was and is still a awesome green color. One of my favorite pieces now. There's still hope.

I had to remove a rock with green cap growing on it because there was green bubble algae growing on it. I removed the algae and scrubbed the rock under the kitchen tap. I tried to not get much tap water on the green cap. when i returned the rock to the tank most of it turned white. I was very disappointed. however it regained the green color after a week and is completely healthy. I would give your coral 2 weeks to be sure if it is dead or not.

David B.

I have recently had the same problem with my Orange Montipora. I removed some pieces of rock to clean them with a power wash of tap water three days ago, including the two corals below (Orange Monti on top, unknown coral below). The rocks had algae and aiptasia on them, surrounding the corals, and that I thought that may be inhibiting the corals growth. So I power washed the rock around them, trying to shield the corals from the fresh water, but when returning these two pieces to the tank, the Orange Monti (top coral) was completely bleached. I was shocked :eek: . The other coral (unknown coral) didn't seem bothered at all.

Now the Orange Monti (top coral) has orange polyps while much of the coral is still white. No algae has grown yet...

AfterWash.JPG

Poor picture :blush:

What type of coral is the bottom coral?