Catastrophe

Guest FZ1Rider

Guest FZ1Rider

For two weeks I ran my tank empty, fresh water, just testing the cycle.

Then I filled it and let it cycle for the next 3 or 4. I bought some Liverock of the members of this board (thanks Dave and Carla!). Today I bought some snails and a Zoanthid. After watching it for a while I went up stairs to watch the family for two hours and when I got back down the floor was covered in water.

To cut through the disappointment and tears. I'm looking for either a 65 gallon tank or other tank and stand (as cheap as possible) or to sell off my stuff.

Any help would be appreciated. I know this isn't the right place to post some of this so feel free to move it around as needs be.

Peter

I'm a little confused... are you asking for help on the current setup or looking to buy a new setup... or sell an old setup?

Why did the water end up on the floor?

Dave

geez..... did your tank break? how did it happen? Sorry for your loss (frustration)

Please post more details.

Guest FZ1Rider

Looks like a seam seperated in a corner. Why it happened after all this time being run is beyond me. I assume I could repair it although I have not had luck patching tanks (13 years ago) when I had a 20 gallon go. The water was fairly large so it was weird that everything was fine while the whole family was there and then all of a sudden it was a big mess.

Sorry my last post was a little scattered.

What I'd like to do, In order of priority is:

- Try to patch this tank (assuming time permits).

- If there's no time or I can't get the patch to hold I'll buy a new tank (If I can find a good price, I'll already spent more than the wife wanted to)

- If I can't get those things going I'm going to sell off my stuff. I'll post a more detail message if it comes to that.

So can my LR / LS / smaller critters (starfish that have hitched, chiton, etc) live in a bin with flow and heat for a few weeks? (probably up to a month?)

Is there anyone who knows how to patch a tank that wats to lend a hand or at least give me some good instructions? I've actually read a bit on the internet just out of curisoty before this happened (who knew) but I still don't think I can do it right now. Do the LFS sell the proper sealant? I think it has to be fish safe right?

Thanks,

Peter

Looks like a seam seperated in a corner. Why it happened after all this time being run is beyond me. I assume I could repair it although I have not had luck patching tanks (13 years ago) when I had a 20 gallon go.

I would go for new tank vice trying to repair a split seam. Unless you can figure out why it split, then it will most likely split again if you just reseal it. IMO

So can my LR / LS / smaller critters (starfish that have hitched, chiton, etc) live in a bin with flow and heat for a few weeks? (probably up to a month?)

absolutely.

Is there anyone who knows how to patch a tank that wats to lend a hand or at least give me some good instructions? I've actually read a bit on the internet just out of curisoty before this happened (who knew) but I still don't think I can do it right now. Do the LFS sell the proper sealant? I think it has to be fish safe right?

Is the tank glass or acrylic. That makes a difference on what to use to seal the seam. If it is acrylic, ask NAGA (member here) he is a local acrylic tank fabricator. If it is glass you can use GE Silicone II (make sure it does not contain a mildewcide).

If it is glass you can use GE Silicone II (make sure it does not contain a mildewcide).

I think GE Silicone II is the stuff that does contain mildewcide. Silicone I doesn't -- it still says it is mold/mildew resistant after it cures, but that is just a property of silicone. Interestingly enough, both of them say they are 100% silicone. It also comes in various colors, and still says it is 100% silicone. Guess I just wasn't that good in math. Some LFS also sell "Aquarium Sealant" in kaulk-gun size tubes. IMO you would be fine w/ Silicone I.

I also think you would be better off just getting a new/used tank, though.

Have you figured out what caused it? Was the stand perfectly planar and level?

I think GE Silicone II is the stuff that does contain mildewcide.

You might be right. I always scour the label to make sure that I am getting the one without the mildewcide in it. Just make sure it is 100% silicone and no mildewcide.

Guest FZ1Rider

Thanks, I may try that tonight. How long does it take to cure? 48 hours or so? I assume I can test with Fresh Tap water and then just dry it out before filling back up with the salt right?

Peter

You might be right. I always scour the label to make sure that I am getting the one without the mildewcide in it. Just make sure it is 100% silicone and no mildewcide.

Wasn't it time to upgrade to a 90? :)

Craigslist.org - Search Aquarium - there are lots of used tanks on there to fit your budget. You will see a guy in Herndon who sells them - he has a bunch. Apparently he is 'downsizing' - he used to have 20 tanks in his basement. Now he only has about 15... but it's clear that he buys/sells all kinds of stuff. His prices are good, and he will likely have something suitable.

Example:

Reply to: sale-280968051@craigslist.org

Date: 2007-02-19, 1:46AM EST

I have this 68 gallon aquarium for sale. No leak, no chips, no cracks. Less than 6 months old. Good for fish, snake, lizard, dragon, gecho, turtle etc.

Oak finish. Picture tells a million words. Tank dimensions are 36"Wx18"Dx22"H. The stand is solid pine wood cabinet stand. 32" high. Complete with filter, gravels, net, hose, food, chemicals. Bought from store more than $700. I am asking for $449. I just need to get it going to save space. Thanks. Call 703-283-9490 to arrange pick up.

I know the guy in Herndon had a 75 with built-in overflow, etc. In one of my less brilliant moments, I decided 75 was too big. Yeah, right - 24-hours after arriving home with my 45, I was already thinking 75 didn't look so big after all.

bob

Edited by lanman

Guest FZ1Rider

Wasn't it time to upgrade to a 90? :)

hahah I'm so working a 90 gallon off cragislist right now.

Just wanted to say that GE Silicon I Windows and Doors is what you want. You want to avoid anything that has th BioSeal logo on it. The BioSeal is the mildew inhibitor. GE II now contains this (it used to be free of BioSeal but now all new stock contains it). You can find the GE Silicon I at home depot near the windows and doors aisle. I used it recently on my sump and have had no ill effects from it.

Also, if you rather get a new tank, Aquarium Center in Randallstown, MD has 65 RR All Glass aquariums for around $180 in stock. You do have to buy the standpipe kit too. Or you can probably get a non-RR one for less. Don't know what area you live in but it could be worth the trip. Give them a call before you go tho just to make sure they have what you want in stock.

Guest FZ1Rider

Thanks, looks like I'm getting a real good deal on a 90 Gallon tonight. Tank, stand, hood, 2x250 MH 2xPC Actinics, sump w sep refugum, + qt tank 100lbs LR, LS, Skimmer, Live stock, etc etc for $750. Obviously it's a big upgrade but the dupes I have will be sold off and I should make out pretty good in the long run.

I still plan to repair the 65 gallon and probably sell it at a later date.

Thanks for all the help.

Peter

hahah I'm so working a 90 gallon off cragislist right now.

If you are looking at a 90, might as well go for a 120... same length just a bit wider...

Roo:

Aquarium Center is closed. See the thread in the Vendor Feedback forum. FZ1, have you considered joining WAMAS?

Guest FZ1Rider

If you are looking at a 90, might as well go for a 120... same length just a bit wider...

Roo:

Aquarium Center is closed. See the thread in the Vendor Feedback forum. FZ1, have you considered joining WAMAS?

Did you see the deal I'm getting on a 90 competely setup system? Even coming with a 5 stage RO/DI (not that I need another one but...) I don't want to go down the road of a 120 and then need to by the PS, LR, more LS, etc etc when this one if ready to rock.

Yes, I plan to join wamas, The two people I've met from here have been great as well has all the info. I talked to one of the members last night after the tank broke. I'll sign up by this weekend or next. It may only be $20 but I'm testing the limits of my marriage by needing a new tank right after we spent more than we planned to get the 65 running. If I can hide the $20 dollars after the dust settles (figuratively and literaly) I'll be better off :)

If I can hide the $20 dollars after the dust settles (figuratively and literaly) I'll be better off :)

Trust me you have found the right place. We all understand your dilema. (BTW one of my tricks is to 'skim' money when I go to the grocery store. Take $10 here $20 there as a cash back and tuck it away... works good.)

Trust me you have found the right place. We all understand your dilema. (BTW one of my tricks is to 'skim' money when I go to the grocery store. Take $10 here $20 there as a cash back and tuck it away... works good.)

Wife left 10 years ago - now I can skim all I want!

(Waiting on my RO/DI filter to make a little more water, so I can switch over to my new 20-gallon sump with the refugium in it. Drip... drip... drip...)

bob

Guest FZ1Rider

Just to update. I went to look at the 90 gallon and it wasn't for me so I passed. If anyone wants it it's still on craigslist. I was going to do 750 but he seemed willing to go lower. Anyway I came to a much cheaper much better solution. Wally's had a AGA 65 (same tank as mine) but with a built in overflow. I just painted the back and it's drying. I hope to have it up and running tomorrow. Hopefully I don't get a cycle, I don't think I will but I'll play it safe with my creatures / coral.

Thanks for all the input. I would have enjoyed a bigger tank but this works better for everyone (at least in my house). And now I've saved enough to subscribe to Wamas this weekend :)

Peter