This is almost embarrassing...

lanman

#1 So I had a little frag that I wanted to glue onto my rock. So I pulled it out, put some super-glue on it, reached way back in the corner, and pressed it down.

#2 So the day before yesterday, I got a Fire Shrimp at a small LFS. She said it was from someone's tank that was moving out of town, and had to unload his tank. She went NUTS when I started feeding mysis shrimp to my damsel. Came flying out, grabbed all the shrimp she could. Same again last night.

1+2 = What the LFS owner couldn't tell me is that the previous owner obviously fed his Fire Shrimp by hand. Donna (as I named the Fire Shrimp) saw my hand in the tank, and came over, crawling ALL over my hand, looking for food. Little pinch here, little pinch there - kind of ticklish. Just cute - until Donna got down to my frag, and grabbed a handful of superglue.

Poor little Donna is now running all over the tank, trying to get her claws apart... one very unhappy fire shrimp. :blush:

Does anyone have any suggestions??

bob

Poor little Donna is now running all over the tank, trying to get her claws apart... one very unhappy fire shrimp. :blush:

Does anyone have any suggestions??

bob

Oh dear. Wait for the molt?

If its just two claws I think you might have to wait for the molt... I would definitly try to see if she can still eat though.

Dave

If its just two claws I think you might have to wait for the molt... I would definitly try to see if she can still eat though.

Dave

Feeding time soon. It's her two main grasping claws. And the left one, at least, is still working (i.e. - the two halves of the claw aren't stuck together). If she can't eat - I'll try surgery. If I can get her in a net, I think I can snip between the two claws, at least. Acetone might be a bad idea...

bob

Dave

She eats! Still a pig... She pulls the food in with all of her other legs. She gets around fine - but she might end up in the mental ward - it's driving her nuts trying to get those claws apart.

Thanks for suggestions!

bob

Had the same happen to hermit crab the other day! I figured: 1) it'll get it's claw loose or 2) it'll loose it's claw. Eitherway, I'm pretty sure they survive just fine. Not a newby issue, a gluey issue :biggrin:

Had the same happen to hermit crab the other day! I figured: 1) it'll get it's claw loose or 2) it'll loose it's claw. Eitherway, I'm pretty sure they survive just fine. Not a newby issue, a gluey issue :biggrin:

She has managed to get the two claws separated! The left one is clean, and the dab of glue is stuck to the right one. She keeps trying to pick it, eat it, scrape it. It isn't going anywhere. She ate well again tonight before they came apart. so no problem, I think. How long between molts??

bob

Glue in a quarantene aquarium first before moving to show tank.

What I think I'll do - super-glue the frags to a small piece of rock, then use the 2-part epoxy to bond the small piece of rock to the big pieces of rock in my tank. Haven't had anything go after the epoxy yet. Would be too much trouble to tear down my rock structure and pull out the rock I need and put it in a separate tank for gluing.

She really is a friendly shrimp - I put a pinch of bloodworms in my fingers the other day, and she climbed all over me picking out the pieces.

bob

or just sprinkle any super glue with baking soda and itll harden almost instantly into a stronger bond to boot :P

excess baking soda if you frag the whole tank might raise your dkh a bit but is reef safe

HTH