Too much light for montipora?

lanman

I have three montipora frags in my 24-gallon aquapod. I put them up high for good light, and even added a small powerhead running only while the lights are on to make sure they have sufficient water flow. Two of them are doing fine, it appears. The third, which is right in the center, 4" underwater, and about 8" from the middle of my single HQI Halide light, is growing by fits and starts - with portions of it turning white and dying off. Could too much light be the problem? Naturally I gave this 'prized' location to the frag I like the most, and now I'm not sure it's going to survive. :(

bob

1) lowered and see if the new location helps re-growth

2) medium or moderate water flow is sufficient, do not point the power head straight into the coral

3) check water quality, parameters must be at prestine conditions in order to keep any SPS/LPS alive.

Jacob

The answer is no, Montipora love light.

That being said...

What kind of lights were the frags under before you bought them? What kind of MH are they under now?

How old is your tank?

What are you using for flow? What is the turnover rate? (GPH/24)

SPS are fickle corals. There's too many ways they could die off to list, but chances are its stress. From what? Who knows.

1) lowered and see if the new location helps re-growth

2) medium or moderate water flow is sufficient, do not point the power head straight into the coral

3) check water quality, parameters must be at prestine conditions in order to keep any SPS/LPS alive.

Jacob

I'll do that tonight.

I have the (smallest I could find) powerhead pointed above them, mostly to break up the flow from the single, non-moving water outlet in the Aquapod, and give them a little extra random water movement.

All of the parameters that I measure are very good; 0 ammonia, 0-0.2 Nitrites, 5 Nitrates, 400 Calcium, 8.2 pH, hmmm... don't remember Alk # - but per the chart I have, definitely high within range (very solid blue color on my test).

In answer to someone else's question; prior to my purchase it was being kept in a much lower light level location in the store. But since fragging it, they moved the coral to a much brighter location (though not quite as bright as mine) - and it is doing GREAT (grey with purple polyps - looks like amythest crystals on quartz). If worse comes to worst, hopefully I can pick up a new frag in 6-8 months.

Tank is only about 10 weeks old, but has been stable for several weeks, and everything else is doing great. And I mean everything (yes, I've gotten carried away - that's why I bought a larger tank this weekend).

bob

your parameters sound good. For now, just lower the piece and let it sit for few month, it will grow back. It has happened to me several times, I know. On the 10 weeks old tank.... well that is pushing it, a tank should be stable and completely cycled before introducing SPS corals, this is usually after 4 or 6 month depending on the bio-load. For now, lower the piece, do not direct any flow over or towards the piece, as a matter of fact, try indirect flow, like pointing towards the glass so the flow bounces off the glass on to the piece... now take a zip of Vodka and sit back and relax, enjoy the view and growth.. :lol2:

I agree. Too much light a problem? No.

Too much light too soon? Yes, and that is my guess here.

Sounds like a cool coral, where did you find it?

I agree. Too much light a problem? No.

Too much light too soon? Yes, and that is my guess here.

Sounds like a cool coral, where did you find it?

Marine Scene. They had it for quite a while, but it was 'unimpressive' under lower lighting. Nobody bought it, so they fragged it. THEN put the remainder under good light, and it showed its true beauty. It is growing well - they will probably frag it by the end of the year again.

bob