Acrylic Baffles in an Acrylic Sump

dhoch

What do I use to "glue" the baffles in place....

I'm using 1/4" acrylic for the baffles (sump I got of NAGA, just a big box, but it's acrylic (way over made, but it was cheap).

I have sylicone and weldon (but it's runny weldon).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,

Dave

If the baffles are cut to fit snugly, weldon 3 or 4 will work just fine. Otherwise use weldon 16. Silicone works marginally for acrylic baffles in glass containers if you apply it thick enough but it won't work at all for acrylic to acrylic baffles.

Use the needle applicator and do the joint that's flat, allow to dry a few moments and flip it to another flat joint

and repeat.

Or bring it down when you pick up your stuff and we'll joint the edges clean and glue it up.

Chip,

If you were closer I'd be there in a second....

Want to get them in today so I can get the whole thing up this week (I did the canopy this morning)...

Going to transfer stuff over now and build my frag rack....

Dave

Chip,

If you were closer I'd be there in a second....

Move. heck you're down in this area more often then up in your area as it is. :biggrin:

Plus, we like you.

Want to get them in today so I can get the whole thing up this week (I did the canopy this morning)...

Going to transfer stuff over now and build my frag rack....

Dave

Have fun man, what a way to spend a cold day playing.

Still didn't get to the sump (maybe tommorow)...sigh...

Did get everything transfered over and setup....(still got the backpack going on it... need the sump for the euroreef....

I'll also need that seaswirel...

What night might be good to come by chip?

Dave

Dave,

Good to see you at BRK today. Thanks for "holding the door".

Have you seen this:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav...les/baffles.htm

I tried that once :lol: Dave, I would rough cut the panels and then start shaving with a jointer until you get a nice tight fit, then the weldon 3 or 4 will just slide along the joint, a bar clamp or 2 and your good to go. Pick up a tube or 2 of #16 to keep around just incase your panel is not perfectly square and you need to fill a little gap.

I tried the pressure baffles using acrylic panels in a 55g sump and it was a dismal failure. It might work with glass baffles in a glass tank or thick acrylic baffles in a glass or very sturdy acrylic sump, but 1/4" acrylic baffles have a tendency to bow and pop loose if the pressure on both sides is uneven. Drain one chamber and the baffles collapse.