How Can You Take A Fish Out

Bendalat

I have a damsel in my 300g tank that is nipping my clams and LPS.

Could you show me how to take it out? (I have about 20 fish)

Thanks,

Khanh

Edited by Bendalat

I have a damsel in my 300g tank that is nipping my clams and LPS.

Could you show me how to take it out? (I have about 20 fish)

Thanks,

Khanh

Well 2 things I have done is:

Turn the lights on it the middle of the night, you catch the fish while its a little slow from being woken suddenly.

In extreme cases I have caught fish with really small fish hooks on a piece of fishing line (this might be tough with 20 fish though)

Turn the lights on it the middle of the night, you catch the fish while its a little slow from being woken suddenly.

I have done this before...just make sure you know where the fish rest at night.

good luck

Thanks guys,

My concernt is my tank is big and full. How can I gide the net between the rock and corals.

Chris, can you help me with this?

Khanh

Thanks guys,

My concernt is my tank is big and full. How can I gide the net between the rock and corals.

Knowing exactly where he goes at night is the place to start, as far as catching him in a full tank, there will have to be some luck involved. Just be patient, it will probably take you a few times to get him.

Have a trap that has worked well for me and several others. You're welcome to try it too.

Call me tomorrow and we can discuss how it operates and if you think it will suit your needs.

I had a Half Black angel in mine that was a bad nipper. I made a fish trap out of a plastic water bottle. I cut the top off, poked a small hole in it near the top of the bottle and tied a string to it. I put some food in the back of it and layed it on its side on the bottom of the tank. When the Half Black went in after the food I just pulled up on the string. Got him the first time.

I've had some success using two nets from opposite directions, kind of like tossing a salad. The fish gets confused and doesn't know which way to run. This worked most recently for a damsel in a 75 with lots of LR. I drained some of the water (good excuse for a water change), went in with the nets and got him on the first try.

I have also used the water bottle trap, with the top cut off and then inverted back into the bottle. This makes kind of a "cone" that the fish swim into but have a hard time getting out. Upside is you could use a bottle small enough so that your bigger fish wouldn't be able to fit. Downside is you may still end up pulling out most of your fish before you catch the one you want. Knowing that the damsel likes clam meat should help.

Guest Bemmer

I have an extra large green net that I used to catch a Powder Blue Tang and a Copperbanded Butterfly recently. It worked like a charm. I bent the net at the bottom so it looked like a soup ladle. Then I bent the top of the handle the other direction. I placed the top of the handle at the bent part on the lip of the fish tank )I have eurobracing on top) so the net part hung about half way up the tank. I attached a small piece of pvc with a zip tie to the top of the net that is out of the tank as a weight balance to keep the net from falling back into the tank.

I would feed the fish just like normal with the net in the tank. After a few days with the net in the tank the fish started eating out of the net as food would fall into it. When the right fish went into the net or was right up the net, I pulled it up out of the tank and voila, I caught my fish.

As with everything in the hobby, it takes patience. If you want to talk about this technique some more, PM me.

Good luck.

Rebecca,

Nice idea, but there really no reason to have such a simple method!

Khanh,

I caught a very suspicious (in character) dottyback recently very quickly and in what seemed like a civilized manner (read on):

1. Take a large clear plastic (chinese/pho) soup container (about 4"-5") wide and 5-7" tall.

2. Cut a center hole in the lid about 1 1/2" - 2".

3. Using fishing line, I connected created a "handle" for the container by poking 2 holes on the sides by the rim and tying the fishing line to these holes. There needs to be some slack.

4. Tie a long length of fishing line to the center of the "handle". This string is the yank string used to pull on the container. The string stays out of the tank and by making it longer, you can be many feet away. My fish did not come close to anything suspicious when I was near, once it knew I was trying to get it. Another advantage of this method is you can be having a glass of wine while on your "fishing" expedition. :-)

5. Lock the top on again.

6. Put some food (clam?) in the container and maybe small rock to counter bouyancy.

7. Lower the trap go down to the bottom (the smaller rim opening keeps food in and confuses fish when they are being pulled up). You can also keep the trap up a bit (makes it more difficult for fish).

8. When the right fish goes in, rapidly pull the fishing line so the container goes to the top of the tank. Fish is caught and in a nice amount of water.

9. Let the games begin (I was actually enjoying a bit of wine while fishing - the fish got caught so quickly though).

Contact me if you would like details.

Good luck

Edited by NRehman

I had a Half Black angel in mine that was a bad nipper. I made a fish trap out of a plastic water bottle. I cut the top off, poked a small hole in it near the top of the bottle and tied a string to it. I put some food in the back of it and layed it on its side on the bottom of the tank. When the Half Black went in after the food I just pulled up on the string. Got him the first time.

that sounds like my cocacola bottle trap that I made available to everyone back in Aug 2005 :lol2: great minds think alike

Guest Bemmer

Rebecca,

Nice idea, but there really no reason to have such a simple method!

Khanh,

I caught a very suspicious (in character) dottyback recently very quickly and in what seemed like a civilized manner (read on):

1. Take a large clear plastic (chinese/pho) soup container (about 4"-5") wide and 5-7" tall.

2. Cut a center hole in the lid about 1 1/2" - 2".

3. Using fishing line, I connected created a "handle" for the container by poking 2 holes on the sides by the rim and tying the fishing line to these holes. There needs to be some slack.

4. Tie a long length of fishing line to the center of the "handle". This string is the yank string used to pull on the container. The string stays out of the tank and by making it longer, you can be many feet away. My fish did not come close to anything suspicious when I was near, once it knew I was trying to get it. Another advantage of this method is you can be having a glass of wine while on your "fishing" expedition. :-)

5. Lock the top on again.

6. Put some food (clam?) in the container and maybe small rock to counter bouyancy.

7. Lower the trap go down to the bottom (the smaller rim opening keeps food in and confuses fish when they are being pulled up). You can also keep the trap up a bit (makes it more difficult for fish).

8. When the right fish goes in, rapidly pull the fishing line so the container goes to the top of the tank. Fish is caught and in a nice amount of water.

9. Let the games begin (I was actually enjoying a bit of wine while fishing - the fish got caught so quickly though).

Contact me if you would like details.

Good luck

That is a good idea. Then you don't need a net. This way is better for the fish.