This looks to have potential - Hydor Koralia

ErikS

Looking forward to hearing the result, is that the thread that has the dumas prop mod? (didn't have a chance to read the entire thread..............yet)

I've been using a Hydor pump for a while, very good quality for the $$$. Water cooling computer crowd has also used them quite a bit.

Hydor Koralia:

12 watts with Stock Impellor

15 watts using impellor and magnet from MJ mod

Cool :)

Yea -- I saw that too. Right now in my 90 I have 5 MJ 1200's for flow and 2 powering a HOB skimmer. So my tank hovers at 80 almost all the time. Bad thing is that during the summer it's gonna be WAY too hot so I'm wondering if I can go this route (use fewer of them) and save my tank from boiling. Any opinions?

Guest beatle

Indeed, I'm looking to buy a couple of these for my softy/LPS 90, but I'm not sure if I'd need two 3s or two 4s. I don't want to wave my corals to death, but I'd like to get as much flow as possible in case I "upgrade" to SPS. :)

I just received my Koralia 4 from Drs F&S. Unfortunately, I'm at work and my reef tank is at home.

I do have this 29H FW community tank (plants, tetras, cories, a couple newts), though . . . . No, . . . I shouldn't . . . that would be cruel. I'll just exercise a little patience for once and wait until I get home tonight.

Yeah right. I couldn't resist. :blush: I wish I had a video of 1200 gph going through that tank! I only left it on for a few seconds, but it sure did wake everthing up!

The real review will come later, but FWIW, my inital impression is positive.

First, it isn't huge. I had started to have a little bit of buyer's remorse when looking more carefully at the dimensions, which are listed at 3 1/4 x 6 1/4. I now see that those measurements include the mount. The way I plan to have mine configured, on an angle, the pump body will partially obscure the mount when looking at it straight on, so it won't take up quite that much space visually. The measurement of the pump&housing alone is only 4 1/2 x 3 1/4. I think I will be able to live with it.

I'll hold off on my other comments until I set it up at home tonight.

Edited by Rascal

• 1 month later...
Guest beatle

I got a pair of the 3s installed yesterday in my 90. They move a fair amount of water in a very dispersed pattern. I seem to be having an issue with sand stir, however. I have a sand sifting goby that gets some of the smaller particles up in the water column and these pumps don't allow it to settle. It's also playing havoc with my skimmer.

In addition, the pumps I got make a real racket when they're on. I've read that some of the 2s and 3s have been recalled, so I called Drs. F&S about it. The rep there spoke with one of their fish techs and he confirmed the issue. They're sending me a pair of new ones and a prepaid label for me to return my defective ones. Good service! Hopefully the new ones have no problems.

• 3 months later...

Did you ever get your new pumps? If so, how are they working?

I got a pair of the 3s installed yesterday in my 90. They move a fair amount of water in a very dispersed pattern. I seem to be having an issue with sand stir, however. I have a sand sifting goby that gets some of the smaller particles up in the water column and these pumps don't allow it to settle. It's also playing havoc with my skimmer.

In addition, the pumps I got make a real racket when they're on. I've read that some of the 2s and 3s have been recalled, so I called Drs. F&S about it. The rep there spoke with one of their fish techs and he confirmed the issue. They're sending me a pair of new ones and a prepaid label for me to return my defective ones. Good service! Hopefully the new ones have no problems.

I have a Koralia 4 and a MJ1200 w/ mod in my 75g tank. The Koralia puts out maybe half as much flow as the modded MJ but has less vibration (very important for an in-wall tank) and the flow is also more dispersed. I like the way the K4 mounts and the ability to direct the flow in whatever direction I chose. I picked up another K4 today and will be using it to replace the MJ.

I noticed a thread on RC yesterday where folks are modding the K4's just like the MJs and getting good results. I think I'll leave mine stock for now though. ;)

I bought two of the K1s and have been very happy so far, only wishing I had bought 2 of the K2s or K3s but I bought when they were having recalls and stocking issues. I love mine, very easy to install and direct, good dispersed flow. And they don't get clogged up too easily.

Guest beatle

I got the new ones in a while ago. It took forever, but the new ones are silent, move a lot of water, and are very easy to aim. They're great.

They were on sale yesterday at drfostersmith, now there back to full price. The #4's were only $49.99 and they were still actepting the "dodge" coupon making them only $42.50. ARG!!! Why didn't I order yesterday? Oh well.

They were on sale yesterday at drfostersmith, now there back to full price. The #4's were only $49.99 and they were still actepting the "dodge" coupon making them only $42.50. ARG!!! Why didn't I order yesterday? Oh well.

Very nice Powerhead for the price. www.thatpetplace.com has better price than Drsfosterandsmith.com and closer to our state. I usually order ground shipment with thatpetplace, the package will arrive in two days w/o the two days fedex charge.

On this powerhead, I have 4 x #4 in my 150G + 1 x #3. They are about 1/2 as strong as the MJ1200 mod kit that I used to have; however, the mod kit draw back is too noisy with the magnetic kit glue on the back where this powerhead has suction rubber magnet to keep it quiet. Also, we can tilt/point the powerhead to virtually almost any directions we want. All 5 powerheads have been work horses, very reliable for 4 months, one of the #4 needs to have its needle clean after 4 months. That's about it. Thumps up for this product.