Sand

BeltwayBandit

So, I am in the process of converting my 'fuge in a bucket' to a remote DSB. Of course that entails doing some research. Does anyone have any recommendations for a fine sugar sand?

On another note, an interesting tidbit that I found on WWM.. I was thinking the other day that my sandbed in my main tank is looking a bit 'low' from when I started. It turns out I was right. (The sandbed was originally 4" of Southdown sand).

" Note: you must be mindful too of the fast rate of dissolution of some sand beds. In most healthy systems, fine aragonite has a "half-life" of 18-24 months. That means that after two years, perhaps, a 3" sand bed will have been reduced to 1.5" and possibly failing in its duties (another unheralded cause for the unfair criticisms of mismanaged DSBs). For this reason, aquarists seeking optimum nitrate control are advised to resist being frugal and apply honestly deep sand beds, and adding more substrate as necessary in time."

One other note on this quote (that rhymed.. how quaint) the reason I am adding the remote DSB is that I have seen my nitrates start to climb up as time goes on (and my sand bed shrinks). Possibly coincidental, but I figure the remote DSB will be pretty easy since all I have to do is literally add sand to my existing setup. (I recently added a HOB 'fuge' where I moved my macro and will be growing my mangroves in the RDSB)

If i recall right, you're idea of growing mangroves in your rdsb isn't going to work because a rsbd is suposed to be completely blacked out.... also I know it's a time taking proscess but why not over the course of a week or two slowly replinish the sand bed in your tank?

If i recall right, you're idea of growing mangroves in your rdsb isn't going to work because a rsbd is suposed to be completely blacked out.... also I know it's a time taking proscess but why not over the course of a week or two slowly replinish the sand bed in your tank?

I have seen other setups like mine. I don't completely agree with the blackout notion, heck the light won't penetrate more than 1/8" or so into the sand, so it will be mostly blacked out..

Anthony Calfo's take: "lighting the DSB or not is a relatively minor issue... and we usually do not illuminate it as a practical matter."

And on mangroves in one of these: "delphinus - no problem at all on the mangroves in the short to medium term (simply until they outgrow the bucket... 3 years or so). The deep anoxic sand will be quite natural for them."

I like the way my main tank looks now, and don't want to deal with the sand storm. Not to mention, I still need a decent replacement sand since Southdown isn't available anymore.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fine sugar sand?

I use old castle white sand I bought from wal-mart- if you need some, I got plenty :)

Does the old castle become live over time?

Definitely,

Just add a few scoops of live sand from other established tanks (just ask for some here) and within a short time your whole sand will be "live sand".