My New Japanese Pygmy Pair Pics

Guest Arlo

Guest Arlo

Hey guys,

I finaly got they fish that i have wanted for 4 years and i got a pair! I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to breed them and everyone can have one. I also took the time to start a photo bucket account so i can post big pics for my threads. Next ill be posting the pics of my happy micromussa i just fragged under the sale section so check that out too.

DSC_0476.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

These are the coolest fish i have ever seen and the pics dont do them justice.

Arlo

Aren't they rather expensive... like 300 or so... very pretty at any rate!! :cheers: Good luck with the breeding hope all goes well. Depending on cost at time I think I'd be up for an offspring.... betting that I'll have another tank by then... still congrats

LOL, try 1200 dollars for one.

Very nice Arlo, very nice. Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Would love to see your acans and micros too. :)

Congratulations Arlo! First of all, thank you for dropping some money on my corals in the auction for the Waikiki Northwestern Hawaiian Islands exhibit that will feature this species among other things.

Keep us updated on your pair. Did you receive them as a pair? How large are each of them? Be sure to keep them below 78 degrees also... For those interested these are regularly being imported wild collected from Japan, but cost some bank!

Here's a couple of shots of my male C. interruptus that for those of you who haven't seen is the father of all captive bred interruptus and the retired breeder from Frank Baensch of rcthawaii. This fish is about 7 years old now... The breeding female Frank lost since breeding the species a few years ago. I've got the few articles that Frank has published on spawning Centropyge Arlo if you really are serious about ever attempting to raise fry for these guys. I know what goes into it and there's a reason he's the only one in the world doing it!:) Check out this thread with more info...

Again, sweet score!

bag_interuptus.jpg

interuptus1.jpg

It's very cute.

Please forgive me my naiveness - why is it so expencieve? Is it very-very rare fish or very-very hard to keep? Or both?

Hopefully Arlo will breed them and as he said we all will have one or two :smokin:

Edited by dzekunoi

Inna, this fish has a limited distribution in Southern Japan and the extreme Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. It's a subtropical Centropyge that is the largest of the genus attaining up to 8 inches... There is no collection in the NWHI, and up until Frank Baensch of RCThawaii.com bred them a few years ago not too much demand. He retailed them for $650 as babies, and since then he's stopped breeding them. The demand for them stayed since captive bred ones were available, and so now wild ones are collected in the Bonin Islands in Southern Japan. They're a fairly common fish there, but the fact that the Bonin Islands are isolated and only accessible by weekly ferry I believe from Tokyo, combined with the fact that Japan is a first world nation with high collection costs for the few fish it provides for the industry. So, the LA wholesalers buy at an expensive price from Japan, then pay shipping and fees, then wholesale them at an already high price. LFS and online stores buy from the wholesalers and double that price, resulting in the rough $1200 estimate per fish. They are relatively hardy if kept at cooler water temperatures. Luckily for me, I've become good friend's with Frank Baensch of RCT, who remains the only person in the world ever to have bred this fish, and I was able to obtain his retired male breeder and other broodstock at a relative bargain as Frank is taking a break for a while... Breeding Centropyge is about as simple as splitting the atom and goes way beyond finding appropriate food for the young...

Inna, this fish has a limited distribution in Southern Japan and the extreme Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. It's a subtropical Centropyge that is the largest of the genus attaining up to 8 inches... There is no collection in the NWHI, and up until Frank Baensch of RCThawaii.com bred them a few years ago not too much demand. He retailed them for $650 as babies, and since then he's stopped breeding them. The demand for them stayed since captive bred ones were available, and so now wild ones are collected in the Bonin Islands in Southern Japan. They're a fairly common fish there, but the fact that the Bonin Islands are isolated and only accessible by weekly ferry I believe from Tokyo, combined with the fact that Japan is a first world nation with high collection costs for the few fish it provides for the industry. So, the LA wholesalers buy at an expensive price from Japan, then pay shipping and fees, then wholesale them at an already high price. LFS and online stores buy from the wholesalers and double that price, resulting in the rough $1200 estimate per fish. They are relatively hardy if kept at cooler water temperatures. Luckily for me, I've become good friend's with Frank Baensch of RCT, who remains the only person in the world ever to have bred this fish, and I was able to obtain his retired male breeder and other broodstock at a relative bargain as Frank is taking a break for a while... Breeding Centropyge is about as simple as splitting the atom and goes way beyond finding appropriate food for the young...

Oh, I see now. Thanks for the explanation!

Arlo, did you get wild once or captive bred from Frank Baensch?

No problem Inna! Arlo's are wild caught, as Frank has not bred these in a couple of years and when he does he sells them at a young age...