Black spray paint and aquarium compatibilty.

elm66

I have a few PVC pipes within my tank and would like to make them less visible by spray painting them. Qhat type / brand o paint should I use? Of course it needs to be compatible with the tank inhabitants (inverts/corals and fish).

Once painted, how long do I have to wait before putting back the pipes in the tank?

Thanks

Eric

Krylon Fusion - I've not used it but I've read about quite a few who have w/o issue.

Well I have painted my pipes and let it degas overnight. I am now soaking the pipes in clear water and will install them tonight. ... Will hope fo rthe best.

Eric

I guess this is a little late to benifit you. But it would others who read this thread. I think I can give dandy... credit for this tip. If you completely coat your pvc pipe in purple primer before painting black with Krylon fusion, when some of the paint gets scratced off (which it will) it will just look like coraline algae... which is what will end up coating your pvc in the long run anyway

I guess this is a little late to benifit you. But it would others who read this thread. I think I can give dandy... credit for this tip. If you completely coat your pvc pipe in purple primer before painting black with Krylon fusion, when some of the paint gets scratced off (which it will) it will just look like coraline algae... which is what will end up coating your pvc in the long run anyway

Dang! That's a great idea!!!!

• 4 months later...

so let me get this straight... I can paint my PVC pipes with Krylon spray paint and after a good 24 hours of drying I can then stick it in my aquarium water without having issues?

you better have major ventilation if you are going to swab your plumbing with primer.

I didn't like the fusion, thought it peeled too easily and don't remember which other brand I used but all of my in tank plumbing has been spray painted black.

you better have major ventilation if you are going to swab your plumbing with primer.

I didn't like the fusion, thought it peeled too easily and don't remember which other brand I used but all of my in tank plumbing has been spray painted black.

bigJPDC: so you have painted PVC underwater? this doesn't effect your corals and fish at all?

uh, no - never underwater. ??? I meant before assembly.

okay now I feel retarded because I don't understand. So you paint your PVC but only the parts that don't have contact with the aquarium water. right?

BTW I really like your picture of that COHIBA Cigar, I get a box of those every time I go to Panama. Customs is awesome all you have to do is have the rings and cigars in different bags/boxes and your fine.

OK. Basically I would get all the plumbing ready to go in the tank (in and out of the water) and then spray it and wait a day before final assembly. Glue as much beforehand as you can. I have plenty of pvc that is painted black and is in and out of the tank. Like in this shot - I painted the parts of the closed loop that would be above the sand. The idea is that you paint the pvc black to match your background so your eyes aren't drawn to the plumbing, but instead to your corals.

I just checked and the stuff I use is Rust Oleum Specialty Paint for Plastic, probably got it at Home Dumpo.

IMGP7548.jpg

IMGP8553a.jpg

RE: the Cohiba. Thanks for noticing, I got a bunch when I was in Jamaica a few years ago. I am more partial to some hand rolled sticks I get in a little shop in Manhattan though. They're about $2 a piece and have to sit in a spanish cedar cabinet for a year or so before they are ready, since they are rolled that day. I like to sneak them to people without telling them how much they cost until after they say how smooth they are. I paid $24 for a real cuban when I was in Vancouver and don't really think you should ever pay more than $6 for a cigar.

jp

OK. Basically I would get all the plumbing ready to go in the tank (in and out of the water) and then spray it and wait a day before final assembly. Glue as much beforehand as you can. I have plenty of pvc that is painted black and is in and out of the tank. Like in this shot - I painted the parts of the closed loop that would be above the sand. The idea is that you paint the pvc black to match your background so your eyes aren't drawn to the plumbing, but instead to your corals.

I just checked and the stuff I use is Rust Oleum Specialty Paint for Plastic, probably got it at Home Dumpo.

Nice, well that clears things up a bit.... okay I guess I'm going to redesing my plumbing to include a little spray paint.

RE: the Cohiba. Thanks for noticing, I got a bunch when I was in Jamaica a few years ago. I am more partial to some hand rolled sticks I get in a little shop in Manhattan though. They're about $2 a piece and have to sit in a spanish cedar cabinet for a year or so before they are ready, since they are rolled that day. I like to sneak them to people without telling them how much they cost until after they say how smooth they are. I paid $24 for a real cuban when I was in Vancouver and don't really think you should ever pay more than $6 for a cigar.

jp

Personally the best cigars I've had were from Panama, I went to this town called Cheateauge where the main business was tobacco. There I found out the main export of tobacco goes to none other than Habana Cuba for their infamous cigars. Naturally I purchased a couple of boxes and I tell you the truth they are great cigars for only .50 a piece. However the Cohiba I bought were really good to at nice prices, $3.50 each.

• 2 weeks later...

bigJPDC,

I have a question, the egg crates that you have inside the bottom of your tank, is that to allow more water flow around the rocks? In this tank, did you also add sand to it?

James

jn - yes, I have a DSB now on top of the eggcrate. It's there to keep rocks or anything from hitting the glass bottom, now and during the build.

jp

omg I am a starfish. Is there a post count where I can change that?

• 2 weeks later...

What a fantastic idea! Egg crate on the bottom of the tank for the rock to sit on and protect the bottom in the case of a rock slide or a dropped rock!