Sponge problem?

SteveM

I have a large LR covered with these yellow spongelike things. Does anyone know if they will cause me any problems? I want to put some ricordea on this rock and was curious if these things will cause a problem for the rics.

Sponges.jpg

Sponges4.jpg

Not a problem but can grow really well so keep them in check.

I'm surprised they're growing out in the light though.

Do you have many BL hermits?

I believe I have a few blue leg hermits, why? And how would I go about "keeping them in check"?

Thanks

YOU HAVE ALL THE LUCK, those look positively fascinating. Try reading the article in general discussion about sponges if you haven't already.

YOU HAVE ALL THE LUCK, those look positively fascinating. Try reading the article in general discussion about sponges if you haven't already.

I did read the mentioned article, not sure I fully understand.. but I read it. :) The ones I have are very colorful and I do think they look nice. I'm just worried about them possibly causing me problems at some point. I just want to make sure I can but things on that rock and have them do okay without the sponges bothering them. And if the sponges are going to be a problem, how do I get rid of the ones I don't want.........

Thriving sponges are a sign of a very healthy tank. Congratulations!

I have a lot of sponges in my tank. Most are under rock and in areas that do not get much light. I would not worry about placing corals near the sponges, the corals will fight them for space, and from what I have seen, the corals should win.

If you do no like the sponges, turn the rock over or hide the sponge side. They will do fine. I too am amazed at these guys thriving in a high light area.

I have one exactly like that growing over a small patch of green star polyps, right under the MH light. It's spreading faster than my gsp... possibly overtaking it.

I believe I have a few blue leg hermits, why? And how would I go about "keeping them in check"?

Thanks

BL's can pick at them, most crabs may for that matter.

I have some light loving blue sponge and have that yellow, but not as actively growing

Guest jane of baden

Not a sponge problem at all (:

the tissues look like theyre receding a little though, are you adding any suspended food? (DT's and the like) if you are, I'd add a teeny more; if you're not... BUY SOME!!

IF you have ANY limpets, I would get rid of them. I had some purty pink encrusting sponges very similar to those (ok, they were colorful and encrustingm but still!), and a limpet just sort of.. decimated the one that was growing.

Be sure to check frequently for nudis, too. There are some really small juvenile ones that you might not notice at first, but are bad.

As for the ric, not even a problem. I've got about 15 polyps of ricordea in my tank with my spongies. Generally, corallimorphans/ricordeas/leathers/andsuch pose more risk to sponges since they can release a toxic slime coat.

Have fun :)

Not a sponge problem at all (:

the tissues look like theyre receding a little though, are you adding any suspended food? (DT's and the like) if you are, I'd add a teeny more; if you're not... BUY SOME!!

IF you have ANY limpets, I would get rid of them. I had some purty pink encrusting sponges very similar to those (ok, they were colorful and encrustingm but still!), and a limpet just sort of.. decimated the one that was growing.

Be sure to check frequently for nudis, too. There are some really small juvenile ones that you might not notice at first, but are bad.

As for the ric, not even a problem. I've got about 15 polyps of ricordea in my tank with my spongies. Generally, corallimorphans/ricordeas/leathers/andsuch pose more risk to sponges since they can release a toxic slime coat.

Have fun :)

Thanks everyone for the feed back. Sounds like they wont be a problem for me.

Jane, what are limpets? I dont know if I have them or not. Same with nudis, I have no idea what that is. Also, what is "suspended food" (DT's) ?

• 4 weeks later...

A limpet is a conical shaped snail, looks almost like a rice paddy hat. It basically has a strong foot underneath and crawls around grazing. It also typically has a hole in the top of its shell.

A nudi is referring to a nudibranch, or sea slug. They have specialized diets typically and some of them graze on only sponges. I wouldn't worry too much about the limpets, though, as I'm not sure that they naturally predate on sponges. I have them in my tank as well as sponges and have never seen them attack them. Then again, though, there are many different types of sponges and limpets out there.

Did you by any chance pick up that LR at Marine Scene. I got some there last week, but my sponge is only growing on the bottom out of the lights. I was actually excited about it :lol2:

Did you by any chance pick up that LR at Marine Scene. I got some there last week, but my sponge is only growing on the bottom out of the lights. I was actually excited about it :lol2:

I actually got all my rock from The Cozy Clownfish in Manassas. All of the yellow sponges that you see in the above pics are no longer there. They have all perished, I guess due to the lighting. There are still a few that I can see on the underside of the rock. They were nice while they lasted. :)

Those are sponges? I got some corals and the rock they were on from someone in MD. I have the exact same animals you have on one piece of rock with mushrooms on it. I figured they were baby hairy mushrooms; the tank in MD. was inundated with big hairy mushrooms.

They seem to be quite happy; I've had the rock in there for a couple of weeks now.

bob