Iodide and Iodine, what the dbl hokey sticks is the diffrence?

I litereally woke up at 4 am with this of all things bugging me on my mind.

I was at work tonight reading some bottles of reef additives. Reef iodide by seachem and reef iodine by kent

I'm now faily positive that a misdose of additives is what destroyed some of my population the other night. One of those additives was iodine.

The text on the back of the kent bottle of course stated something along the line of this "Iodine, completely reef safe blah blah blah totally necessary additive blah blah blah.

The text on the back of the seachem bottle read something along the lines "Safer that Iodine which is (and now a direct quote) "absloutely as toxic to your marine tank as chlorine!" blah blah blah. Is an absloutely needed element in a reef system blah blah blah.

After about 10 minutes of search on the internet I've come to no conclusions except overdose of either can be extremely detramental to a closed reef system.

Iodinde: A diatomic molecule consisting of two iodine elements. It is needed by reef invertebrates. Protein skimming may deplete the supply, so additions are quite necessary.

Iodide: An iodide ion is an iodine atom with charge -1. Compounds with iodine in formal oxidation state -1 are called iodides. This can include ionic compounds such as caesium iodide or basically covalent compounds such as carbon tetraiodide.

Big freakin lot of good that does, I did pass chem 101 but that's not helping me a whole lot here

So Jusy whats the verdict? :gho:

For the jury: I have thrown away all my additive bottles and chems except calcium (a capful a week) Kent, and Essential elements (3 drops a week) Kent

Edited by jason the filter freak

Jason,

Just make sure you de-vein your shrimp before eating...or you will have a iodine system overload....and symptoms are usually a outbreak of hair growing out your nose and ears :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

1. I don't know what the difference is.

2. It is more fun to argue.

3. Most trace elements (IMO) are best replenished through frequent small water changes with a quality salt mix. Only the heaviest stocking levels require add'l supplementation of trace elements.

There was lots of debate on RC about supplementing iodine/iodide, and the general consensus was that its impossible to properly test for iodine, so if you cannot accurately test for it you should not add it. My mom added it to her tank for years with no adverse affects, and as soon as she stopped dosing it she didn't notice a difference in her corals. One experiment, but its enough to convince me that its not needed.

I do use Lugol's Solution as a dip for zoos, but that is outside the tank.

Excellent question, which I also do not know the answer to. You should post the question over on Reef Central in the Reef Chemistry Forum. Randy Holmes-Farley is an outstanding resource, and usually answers posts quickly.

Zac

I do think many things in a reef tank do better with a bit of Iodine, but there is a greater over-dose risk than with other suplements. My GSPs looked terrible for a week the time I accidentally doesed it 2x in one day. Now I dose 1/2 MFG suggested, and that works for me.

All you ever wanted to know about Iodine and more.... by Randy Holmes

Iodine in Marine Aquaria: Part I

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

Iodine in Reef Tanks 2: Effects on Macroalgae Growth

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2003/chem.htm

Zac

Edited by zmalexander

Our apologies...

The item you requested does not exist on this server or cannot be served.

Below we have listed some items that might correspond to what you are looking for.

If you know you have the correct web address but are encountering an error, please send a mail to the administrator of this site.

I would have really liked to have seen the article

Our apologies...

The item you requested does not exist on this server or cannot be served.

Below we have listed some items that might correspond to what you are looking for.

If you know you have the correct web address but are encountering an error, please send a mail to the administrator of this site.

I would have really liked to have seen the article

Oops, sorry for the busted link. Here ya go!

Zac

Well, Jason, you see, the iodi-N-e has an "n" in it while the iodi-D-e has a "d" in it. It's really just a matter of spelling it correctly and knowing that phonetically, they are very different sounds.

Oops! The thread took a more serious turn... :wink:

Well, Jason, you see, the iodi-N-e has an "n" in it while the iodi-D-e has a "d" in it. It's really just a matter of spelling it correctly and knowing that phonetically, they are very different sounds.

:wig: :wig:

Lol thats twice in one day you've burned me :lol:

Wow, those are excellent articles. And both are very well written. That guy is either extremely smart and write stuff like that up in no time at all or has WAY too much time on his hands . . .

• 2 years later...

I went back to read about this again, and thought some of our newer reefers could benefit from this info

Wow, those are excellent articles. And both are very well written. That guy is either extremely smart and write stuff like that up in no time at all or has WAY too much time on his hands . . .

Randy is an amazing reef chemist, the archives contain a wealth of his easy to understand descriptions:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/show...threadid=102605

Cheers.