Coral ID

jason the filter freak

The ricordia fairy must have visited... I noticed two new small ones exactly like that in my tank the other day too... don't have any others like it.

The ricordia fairy must have visited... I noticed two new small ones exactly like that in my tank the other day too... don't have any others like it.

That's funny! I discovered that where I once had a single ric, I now have two adults sized rics and about four dime sized ones. Prolific little buggers!

BTW, those may also be a rhodactus sp. you have there Jason.

Guest seantadez

A ric? I'm still really trying to learn more about corals. This just kinda showed up in my tank... what is it?

n209700230_30472329_2613.jpg

n209700230_30472337_4743.jpg

Ricordia Yuma (this is mine)

corales2094.jpg

x

corales142.jpg

1) What is the story behind them - did you buy them or trade for them or did they just appear on the rock.

2) 2nd photo looks like shroom or ricordia

3) What is size of the 2 in first photo? if they look like they have a foot or base like a BTA then probably majano anemone - which is like aptasia - pest. Majano stay about quarter size and multiply fast

3) What is size of the 2 in first photo? if they look like they have a foot or base like a BTA then probably majano anemone - which is like aptasia - pest. Majano stay about quarter size and multiply fast

They actually appeared completely randomly in my tank after some re aquascaping. I had had the lights off my tank for about 4 weeks, so the tank is up against the window any way so I ran al la natural for a bit. Now the window is shaded over. I also have some brown zoas that have appeared randomly but don't seem to multiply much and are freaking tiny, like smaller than a pencil eraser. I'd be so sad if those were nusiscance anems, They don't appear to have a base at all except for the second one with the hermit.

• 3 weeks later...

Other way is to rubberband over the middle section- they'll split up easily.

One method from GARF, cut them up into "pizza" pieces and wrap with bridal veiling on rocks

Well i broke a piece of branch that one was on the other night and the thing snapped it half. It's been a week and both pieces seem to be doing ok.

Well i broke a piece of branch that one was on the other night and the thing snapped it half. It's been a week and both pieces seem to be doing ok.

Cool! Can I have another 1/2? hehehehe

Ahh ok, that's cool. I just got a neon orange/teal ricordia with double neon green mouths from Dr. Mac. I'm looking forward to fragging it when time comes :)

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you could say I did my first mushroom frag, then :) I bought one that was stuck to two different pieces of rock. Both halves of that guy are doing fine, also! Had another one that split himself; both halves are still healing up. I have a ricordia (fiji?) - kind of like a hairy mushroom (3-4"); but fluoresces bright green - he has 3-4 smaller ones hiding in his shadow on the same rock.

If you want to take a razor blade to a ricordia - cut him through the mouth? Or next to it?

bob

Now in theory you should do it though the mouth... how ever I fragged one recently with no trace of the oral disc on the new frag, and it had been alive for 1 month just fine... I since traded it to member bb name big james, we'll see how it turns out. Still I think I have to reccomend fragging though the oral disc, I'll give the floor over to exp members though. Oh and the other half with the mouth, is fully healed and growing