meet Zorak

mogurnda

Last time I got rock from TBS, I dodged the mantis bullet.  Not this time.  This little smasher came in with the first 45 lbs of rock.  Fortunately, it was easy to get it out, and he's in the fuge for the moment.  When I get a little time, he'll go into his own digs.

Of course, there's no guarantee there won't be more.

mantis_2785_lg.jpg

Actually kind of cool- I know they need a home of their own- but I have always thought their interesting behavior and relatively easy upkeep might be worth the adventure [tu]

Yeah- if you find another, I'll give it a home in the lab.  I've been wanting a little tank here :)

Not that I'm aware of.  I know people have kept betas and goldfish, and no one complained.  Might be a policy, but if no one makes an issue of it, then I wouldn't sweat it.  I wouldn't keep it in a radiation room, though :)

Although far from being a Mantis...one of our adult pistol shrimp decided to chase two sally lightfoot crabs around its little tank yesterday. Quite amusing to watch, and the crabs even tried hiding in a diadema :) I guess it did not like others in the baby tank (lots of little shrimpies in there!). hehe

By the way that is a cool mantis pic!

Arthropod behavior can really be good for a laugh, eh?

Michael, it looks like Zorak has a little nephew, Raymond. He's still in the main tank, and I'll extract him when you can take him.  So far, I've only seen the front end, but I'd guess the second one is maybe an inch.

Arthropod behavior can really be good for a laugh, eh?

Yeah my Emerald crabs do sky diving from atop the LR and fall about 12" then hook on the bottom of the LR before they hit bottom. kinda like a Matrix thing i guess. :)

If you get a chance go by Roozen and look a the Mantis they got on the first tank next to the coral row.  That guy is about 8 inches long and 3 inches high.  It is impressive.  I whish I had my camera then.

Jacob

Dave- I will work on setting up the 5 gallon tank this week.  Actually, I have a 2 gallon that might be even better for work :)

Plans changed.  TBS screwed up and sent my second half of the rock, plus some inverts, last night.  About two weeks early.  No huge deal, just a bit of disruption.

However, I got another decent sized mantis (about 3"?), making a total of three.  I'll keep one 3-incher, and there are now one 3-inch and one 1-inch smashers available.  Michael has dibs on one of them, anybody else?  They are in holding containers and ready to go ASAP.

Dave, I'll take one if it's available.  How about we trade for one of those Long Spine Urchins that you were interested in.  Let me know what you think.

Garrett.

Michael, now that they are all out of the main tank, you can have yours whenever you want it.  

Maybe I'll just keep the little guy and let you two have the big ones.