bad bulb?

gudgreef

2 months ago I made the switch from PC's to MH. Today I find one of my XM 250's (10K)has burnt out. Needless to say I'm kinda p@##%$ off.  2 months of use and not even up to a full photoperiod!!(only 7 hrs a day). Is it just a "bad bulb" or could there be a problem with the ballasts? Both bulbs have "ash" inside at the base. I'm guessing that is normal but don't know as these are my first

:( Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Guest HVF21221
If you have 2 halides switch the bulbs, then you will know if it's the bulb or ballast.

The first thing I did was swap the bulb. It's definitely the bulb. Since it is a practically new bulb, I was just looking for any reason it could have died so soon. I bought it from AquariaUSA, do you think it's worth contacting them or XM?

Guest Houshan
The first thing I did was swap the bulb. It's definitely the bulb. Since it is a practically new bulb, I was just looking for any reason it could have died so soon. I bought it from AquariaUSA, do you think it's worth contacting them or XM?

Yeah, if it happened to me, I'd contact them.

Rich is easy to deal with and I would think XM would back their product.  You have nothing to lose but everything to gain ...

from the website, worth a look

Announcement:

This is in regards to single ended XM 10KK bulbs:

Please be inform that there was a slight mechanical problem with where the glass and the metal socket seal being broken and damaged during transit or during installation if not handled with extra care.  We have already fixed this problem by strengthening this area of the bulb and already incorporated into production for future products already in production.  

We estimate a fraction of a percentage with this problem but with many thousands in the field there are legitimate problems with some users.

Our policy is to stand behind our  products and every effort will be made for full replacement for legitimate problem bulbs.

For replacements please see following conditions and instructions:

The bulbs only apply to 10KK single ended bulbs.

The damaged bulbs with seal broken will have white or milky deposit at the bottom of glass near the socket.  It should be black/silver.

For replacements, please ship the bulbs to:

XM

1539 W. Orange Grove Ave.

Building B

Orange, CA  92868

Include your return address and proof of purchase – invoice or order confirmation.

Please contact us if you have any questions:  customerservice@xmlighting.com

Hi Tom,

I was not at the Symposium two months ago...so was this the bulb you bought from us at the spring meeting? If you want to go ahead and just UPS the bulb back to XM just copy me on the bulb, and I can call them to verify if needed. Out of 60-70 bulbs, this would be the 4th, so not too bad considering the issue. I know a lot of the bulbs they had issues with were screwed in too tightly which loosened the mogul socket. Another company had a similar issue with this a few years back. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Thanks, Rich :)

The bulbs we have returned thus far this year:

2x400 Watt 10Ks (turned yellowish)

1x250 Watt 10K (turned yellowish)

perhaps 1-2 more 250s with yours and another this week.

1x175Watt 10K (cracked)

Still a much better track record than we had with OEM Ushios and Sunbursts. Still a great bulb IMO :)

Awesome info guys. Milky white residue...that my bulb!  Rich, I did buy the bulb at the spring meeting but didn't get around to building a canopy and installing them until the beginning of July!

Thanks Doug, Thanks Rich:)