Ballast Install

ctreptow

Hi All

I want to install my ballasts about 15 feet away from the tanks in the fish room. Does anyone know what gage wire I should use. I have Icecap 660's running 2 54w t5's at present..

Thanks Chris

Hi All

I want to install my ballasts about 15 feet away from the tanks in the fish room. Does anyone know what gage wire I should use. I have Icecap 660's running 2 54w t5's at present..

Thanks Chris

Chris at a minimum 16 gauge

john

Chris at a minimum 16 gauge

john

However, I would recommend 14 gauge. (Per NEC rules for circuits protected by 15 amp breakers.) :biggrin:

PS Its also in the USCG rules for marine electrical installations, yes I know its not a boat but it is a salt environment so it is similar.

PPS No I'm not a complete freak, I just happen to be in charge of the Coast Guard electrical rules for commercial vessels. :biggrin:

I agree with that... The bigger the safer.. I also wanted to add molex connectors so I will have to see if I can find connectors for 14G. I an going to solder and heat shrink the wire to the harness but I want the canopy to easily removable..

Chris

However, I would recommend 14 gauge. (Per NEC rules for circuits protected by 15 amp breakers.) :biggrin:

PS Its also in the USCG rules for marine electrical installations, yes I know its not a boat but it is a salt environment so it is similar.

PPS No I'm not a complete freak, I just happen to be in charge of the Coast Guard electrical rules for commercial vessels. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Check the ballast info or with the maker to ensure the ballast is capable of remote mounting. They usally have a maximum distance on the label. The reason is that if the distance is increased the capacitor may not be strong enough. So you may need to change the cap and upsize the wiring.

Here is a helpful link.

http://www.venturelighting.com/TechCenter/...teMounting.html

Edited by prevyet

The NEC recommended #14AWG mentioned is for branch circuits and not for fixture wiring which can be smaller. Per 2005 NEC article 402.6 luminaire wiring may be #18AWG. The wire you pick needs to be rated at 600V.