Which bulbs should I get???

ASaleem91

I'm in need for new bulbs and was wondering which ones everyone prefers. I have heard good things about ushio and xm bulbs. Which other companys out there are good? Which K should I get(10k, 20k, etc)?

Thanks,

Ali

P.S if you have any pics of how the bulb looks in a tank please post it.

Well, there's a lot of personal preference in choosing bulbs. First off, you would need to tell us what ballasts you have.

10k, 20k, 14k, etc... they are going to effect the color.. 10k is closer to 'white' while 20k is closer to 'blue'. Some people like one thing, some the other. You can also do a whiter bulb with actinic supplementation if you'd like.

For starters, read through this: http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

There's photos, par ratings, etc for many bulb and ballast combos. Keep in mind that what a picture shows isnt' always how they look in real life, so try going to some of the tank tours and see other tanks in person.

Good luck with finding what you want!

I sort of leaning towards 10k or 14k xm bulbs. I love the way the xm 10k's look. I have seen them in person and i like the way they look. Anyone else have 10k xm's? or some 14k bulb?

I sort of leaning towards 10k or 14k xm bulbs. I love the way the xm 10k's look. I have seen them in person and i like the way they look. Anyone else have 10k xm's? or some 14k bulb?

I have been running the Hamilton 14k bulbs with good results. I do not have any actinic bulbs just 2 x 14k 175watt bulbs on my 90. Will be going to a 2x250watt Hamilton setup is I can ever find the time to change my ballasts out.

no chip, have still not assembled the new ballasts..... :(

Edited by kngfisher