Sump Advice/Where to buy?

Guest BGAndrea

Guest BGAndrea

Hello,

I am currently designing my future system as I play around with a 20 gallon set-up to make sure I like saltwater before making a big investment. As this is my first "big" aquarium (90 gallon reef tank), I am not really familiar with sumps, etc... I have been doing plenty of research but the options are overwhelming. The fishstore that is selling me the setup recommends simply using a 30 gallon glass aquarium with an in-sump skimmer. I would like a more complex acrylic set-up but do not know (a) where to get it in the Baltimore area and (b) which one to get. Here is a list of some things I would like to see in the sump and would really appreciate opinions.

1. Live rock/sand/snail area

2. automatic freshwater topoff

3. in-sump skimmer area

4. pump area

5. something to block air bubbles before returning to tank

6. Capability of adding calcium reactor, denitrifier, UV, ozone to the system at a later date

7. an area where I could put mesh filter bags such as for phosphate remover

Also, is it harmful, or just unnecessary to use a canister, trickle, or in-line filter with a reef system? Just transitioning from freshwater, I am apprehensive to do away with mechanical filtration.

I would suggest that you buy the 90 gallon tank with a megaflow system(This is a built in overflow with return plumbing). you could use your existing 20 gallon tank as a sump. The modern series of stands don't have a center brace in the front wich makes it easier to work in your sump and under the tank. Buy the best skimmer you can afford. If you would like to see my tank you could come by. I have implemented everything you listed mostly and also a chiller. I believe the 90 gallon tanks are 48" wide. If so the 30gallon sump might not leave enough room for other things under your tank(wiring,timers,reactors,ballasts,fluidized filters). Most in sump skimmers will not generate enough bubbles that would cause the return pump to put bubbles in the tank.

David B.

:)

I would suggest that you buy the 90 gallon tank with a megaflow system(This is a built in overflow with return plumbing). you could use your existing 20 gallon tank as a sump. The modern series of stands don't have a center brace in the front wich makes it easier to work in your sump and under the tank. Buy the best skimmer you can afford. If you would like to see my tank you could come by. I have implemented everything you listed mostly and also a chiller. I believe the 90 gallon tanks are 48" wide. If so the 30gallon sump might not leave enough room for other things under your tank(wiring,timers,reactors,ballasts,fluidized filters). Most in sump skimmers will not generate enough bubbles that would cause the return pump to put bubbles in the tank.

David B.

:)

Under my 90 I have the following:

29 gal long sump

turboflotor 1000 in-sump skimmer

kalk reactor

fluval 404 (only on when I need chemical filtration)

Ehiem 2162 in-sump return pump

PH/ORP monitor

2nd heater (1st heater is in overflow of display tank)

proper planning is the key. My display stand has 3 doors on the front but I had a side door put in so I could slide up to a 55 inside. You can put all those things on your list under the stand if you plan properly.

Things not in my stand:

remote ballast for MH lights (did not want to transfer the heat to water)

5 gal bucket for kalk/auto top-off system. (still trying to figure out how much water I want to use for auto top-off (currenlty use about 5gal a week)

Hello,

I am currently designing my future system as I play around with a 20 gallon set-up to make sure I like saltwater before making a big investment. As this is my first "big" aquarium (90 gallon reef tank), I am not really familiar with sumps, etc... I have been doing plenty of research but the options are overwhelming. The fishstore that is selling me the setup recommends simply using a 30 gallon glass aquarium with an in-sump skimmer. I would like a more complex acrylic set-up but do not know (a) where to get it in the Baltimore area and (b) which one to get. Here is a list of some things I would like to see in the sump and would really appreciate opinions.

1. Live rock/sand/snail area

2. automatic freshwater topoff

3. in-sump skimmer area

4. pump area

5. something to block air bubbles before returning to tank

6. Capability of adding calcium reactor, denitrifier, UV, ozone to the system at a later date

7. an area where I could put mesh filter bags such as for phosphate remover

Just about anything that can hold water could be used for a sump. If you use a 30g glass aquarium and intend to have a live rock/sand area you will have to baffle sections off. The other option would be to build or have someone build an acrylic sump. The benefits to building an acrylic sump is you can get it built to fit whatever space constrictions you have and have it sectioned off for the various things you want. My personal preference would be to not have your refugium (Live rock/Sand area) in the sump.

Whatever you decide to use as a sump make sure it will be large enough to not overflow in the event of a power failure :-)

Also, is it harmful, or just unnecessary to use a canister, trickle, or in-line filter with a reef system? Just transitioning from freshwater, I am apprehensive to do away with mechanical filtration.

Unnecessary and potentially harmful over the long term depending what you put in it. Canister filters can be used for occassionally running a variety of media (carbon, etc) but in a reef tank continuos mechanical filtration is not necessary

Edited by SDBDRZ

more than unnecessary if you run it continuously it will turn into a nitrate factory. i have a fluval 404 that i rarely run unless i am doin something very specific. bottom line is the only mechanical filtration u need in your tank is the skimmer

I have NAGA building me a sump and the nice thing with him is he will build exactly what you want. What ever type size, shape sump you go with I suggest an acrylic sump. I think glass sumps work just as well but the acrylic is so much lighter that if you need to move stuff around I find acrylic easier. Plus acrylic is easier to drill. Just my 2 cents.