Help with my design

jason the filter freak

While not exact, this basically amounts to keeping your flow rates to 3,000 gph when using 2

OK next step, have 2 1.5 bulk heads on the left and right, draining down to a mag 24 pump, running externally have the return come back up and split into two scwds regulated by ball valves, dumping in to and elaborate plumming system of my own design, I can't stand power headsand want a swaying motion. then have a 1 inch bulk head centered in the tank have that drain to my sump, returned with a mag seven. Also I'd have a mag seven in the sump it's self to drive my etss 600, make the majority of my sump a fuge, aloing with a live rock rubble area, possibly also have plumming for a RDSB. the tank is a 55 gallon... should i have a smaller sump drain... any one?

Dan?

So correct me if I'm wrong. Is the Mag 24 essentially going to be a closed loop system, with the 2 1.5" bulkheads drainging directly into the mag 24 which would then send the water back directly into the tank? If this is the case, you need to filter the water that goes through the SQWDs, because from what I've read, the SQWDs last much longer if you mechanically filter the water before you send it through them and that they get gunked up pretty quick if you don't.

Also, the Mag 24 pumps out some heat which might end up being a problem down the road. Especially if you also have 2 more Mag 7s running. Just something to think about.

Why not just use one of the 1 1/2" bulkheads and put a little lower for the intake for a closed loop. Then you could run the return through your SCWD ball valve elaborate plumbing thingy. Use a 1 1/2" bulkhead for your main drain and then the other 1" for your emergency drain?

I would eleminate all of the mumbo jumbo personally and just have a intake for the closed loop and 2 1" returns on each side of the tank, then put your return on a sea swirl with a lockline Y so you get 180 degree swivel. This is simple, easy to clean and will provide more random flow then you can handle.

Also, I have that southdown you wanted but, I am going to strongly recommend that you use it for a RDSB in a bucket and go barebottom with 50x turnover.