SPS Growth Expectations

These three corals growth is shown when I got frags in late July 2023, and current photos are today. They are growing, and color is good. This was a newly establish tank, and now parameters are very stable. From this point forward, what is a reasonable amount of time for these to actually turn into colonies assuming stable parameters (alk 8, nitrate 6, phos 0.06, ph 8.2). I am dosing acropower, and all for reef (via a dosing pump) at this time

53479595792_4333b95884_c.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

53480804939_bd561c8a91_c.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

53479595697_a4c9627c9e_c.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

53479590397_c51d38e9fe_c.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

53479595717_ea8ca4e031_c.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

53479590412_cdbd5fd6c3_c.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

Every system seems different. I have corals (SPS) that grow like weeds, but others not so much. Some of the SPS I’ve had are still frag sized, but torches that started the same time in my tank are colonies. 

when I was constantly cutting my SPS back, I think they grew faster.

These are tooooo small to cut. I did get a foxface as a way to keep my hands out of the tank. haha

I just want to let them grow and grow. I guess the fact they aren't dying is always a positive. 

sps growth is exponential with size, starting with frags in a new system is slow at first, but once they get going it’s like an explosion of growth that’s hard to keep up with lol. Every tank is different and setbacks happen, just have to keep going. My growth explosion happened year 2-3ish. Check out my build thread, the first few posts are yearly snapshots that show my tanks progression and growth rate.

11 hours ago, jhOU said:

sps growth is exponential with size, starting with frags in a new system is slow at first, but once they get going it’s like an explosion of growth that’s hard to keep up with lol. Every tank is different and setbacks happen, just have to keep going. My growth explosion happened year 2-3ish. Check out my build thread, the first few posts are yearly snapshots that show my tanks progression and growth rate.

Good feedback. I do keep telling myself 2-3 years. Just after 6 months feels like it will be way longer. 

That's a great point from jhOU, larger sized frags/colonies will grow faster. 

I like to start everything from a frag, and still notice different growth rates depending on the coral. Every once in a while, I find a "designer" acro that grows exponentially fast for me, but it's usually the cheap and easy ones like slimers that always do well, lol. Also, my torches seem to grow really fast, SPS, not so much. 

46 minutes ago, epleeds said:

TSA bill Murray grows like a weed. If your looking for something that grows fast. 

That's exactly what I had in mind, lol. 

On 1/23/2024 at 3:07 PM, YHSublime said:

That's exactly what I had in mind, lol. 

With my photo being a classic Bill Murray image it sounds fitting. Haha 

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree with the others... in a new tank, getting any decent growth in a year is good. Looks like the acros you posted are laying a good base and should start taking off soon. Once they get going, they can grow quick. You could expect in ideal conditions for that slimer to put on an inch a month on some branches. Mine would only grow from a few branches while other branches did nothing. I think I have colonies from frags that had 2 or 3 branches that are now 6-7 inches tall on one branch while the other initial branch never grew from when I got it 2 years ago.