Put your APEX on a good surge protector or UPS

WheresTheReef

I have recently experienced two issues with my APEX EL after two separate short power disruptions. In each case, the power turned off for no more than a couple seconds and then turned back on. 

The first time this happened, the control of an EB8 was lost. All devices were no longer controllable and the outlets turned off. I tried various things, but the only thing that worked was to delete the EB8 module, add it back in and then reprogram all the outlets.

The second incident is more severe. The outlets went out on my EB832. The device still communicates and all lights are normal. However, the outlets no longer provide any power via the relays. This appears to be a common issue if you search online. 

I'm currently using cheap power strips with little to no surge protection. I am planning to switch to a good UPS power supply. This will also allow me to implement a battery backup similar to this. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-4-power-monitoring.698/

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch that must have hurt.  I’ve had pretty good luck with Tripp Lite surge protectors, and they’re reasonably priced for the protection they provide.  What type of battery back-up were you considering?  I have given the computer UPS some thought, but I always table the idea due to the size and short runtimes.

In addition to a surge protector for the power, if you are using wired Ethernet, you should get a CAT5 surge protector. I have lost devices even with a power surge protector. Neptune recommended this and I have had not had any problems in 10 years since. Never had a problem with other network devices so maybe the Apex NIC is an extra sensitive.