What's the best way to start dosing kalk??

tonkadawg

I just picked up an Avast K1 reactor and will be using a dosing pump to dose kalk.  Up to this point I've been dosing BRS 2 part - currently 40ml soda ash and 20ml calcium chloride daily.  How do I figure out how much powder should I add to the reactor and then how much should be dosed to the tank?  Or is there an online resource somewhere to get me close?

Following alone. I also cannot seem to figure out how much Kalk and when to add more kalk to a reactor. I just went the cheap way and mix up a maximum saturation point of 2 teaspoons per gallon into a 5-gallon container and dose 2800ML per day. My Alk is around 8.8 give or take with a PH of 8.4-8.6

(edited)

From their website, up to 2 cups can be added to the K1.  https://www.avastmarine.com/products/kalk-stirrer

Personally, I would stay well away from the output line's height to make sure what you're dosing is saturated lime water and not slurry, and if you can estimate your throughput of water through the system, you know that you'll consume about 2 teaspoons per gallon of RO through to give you an idea of how long a given amount added should last.

As for the calculation, you can use a one-time dosing calculator to find out how much dKH and ppm of calcium your current dosing increases your volume by, then try to match that with a lime water dosing calculator, but my guess is you are using more alkalinity than calcium, so you may still have to supplement a little bit if that is indeed the balancing point.  I would initially start lower, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could dose a liter a day as a starting point and still need to up it after testing.

Edited by DaJMasta

• 2 weeks later...

I'd probably start by adding 1 cup to the stirrer. As the kalk dissolves (remember, only run fresh water thru a kalk stirrer), it's level (depth) drops. Add more as needed. See how much you consume in 1 week. Typically, I'd advise you to keep no more than 10 days worth of kalk in the reactor at any one time to avoid a really disastrous spill should that occur.

Other precautions you can take include limiting the rate / volume of water that the reactor can deliver by using a peristaltic pump; never tying the reactor directly to your Rodi system, monitoring your pH and shutting down the stirrer feed if pH climbs too high.

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk

this is how i am dosing:

I use a pH probe in the reactor,

I add enough powder to saturate the solution.  You know you are saturated when the pH gets to @12-12.4. I then use a dosing pump to dose a set volume (you have to decide how much) at nights starting about 6pm-6pm.  Test to see where your alk is and adjust as needed.