Question on black box lighting

Mando77

Anyone use the Nicrew 150w LED’s? I do believe the LED prices for something like ecotech Radion is way to much as I have built LED’s in the past. I feel like these guys making and selling lights are like used cars salesman and laughing all the way to the bank. But in saying that the Radions seem to be the best, so people are willing to pay for that. I’m doing a build out for a Redsea G2 425 and came across the Nicrew 150’s. I will have a mixed reef with plenty of SPS in time. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried these and if you are not using Radions what you feel is the best light for good PAR. 

I am not using the Nicrew 150w, but since you did open up discussion to lights other than the Radions, I use Viparspectra black boxes.  I have 2x 300w and 1x 165w on various tanks.  These lights are extremely powerful and I keep them 30-40" above the bottom of the tank.  The blue channel I run no higher than 25-30 and the whites around 5-10.  You can see these lights in my build thread.  I also supplement with a 2 x 48" bulb T5 that I got from a Wamas member.  If you scroll back through the various FS posts you will find radions for sale often, likely within your price range and usually with arms included.

I can vouch for the nicrew 150s as I have seen them in action and they 1000% will grow SPS. That said I haven't personally used them as I am a t5 user still. A fellow reefer, Ben Jones lives down near Richmond and swapped out all of his radions for nicrew and added a few kessils for shimmer and a few led bars for the extra coverage they provide and has an absolutely stunning tank and corals. The attached photo is a screen grab from a video he sent me on FB Messenger. You can see the three pucks in the top from the nicrew.

Also a local in Baltimore area, Jim aka Telegraham did a spectrum and par test on them and they are pretty close to g4 radions in spectrum and par.1e7dfe70f19f25368795fcf8d4ef012e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have two of them over my 60 frag tank. They do well. Im not sure if they have a controller, I don’t have one, but I run them at 60% all blue over my LPS/Zoa tank and everything grows well. 

This is great info! I am amazed in how the market has changed since LED’s came out. I think I will try the Nicrew lights with a 48 inch supplemented blue LED light strip to reduce shadow. I also have had Radions in the past. 2nd generation. Nice lights but honestly not worth the money. If you have made light fixtures before and are handy you will find out it’s not rocket science.