PLEASE READ!! CAREFUL!! WITH ZOAS, ZOANTHIDS, ZOOS, ETC

Below is a very serious and saddening post from Reef Central. I didn't know this until a few weeks ago. They're pretty but they pack a bad punch. This is not to bash the beautiful creatures, I want some very badly and will be getting them soon, JUST TAKE PERCAUTIONS WHEN HANDELING Here's an excerpt "By extrapolation, a toxic dose in a human would be about 4 micrograms. It is the most toxic organic substance known!

Please be careful!

It seems one of our club members at least can attest to this! (Not naming names) :eek:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=158730

There are many variables at play here, still over caution is better than undercaution... Rember stingrays weren't suposed to be able to kill people... Do your own research on these beauties of the sea (the zoas) and be careful

Edited by jason the filter freak

I'm not sure where you heard stingrays weren't supposed to kill people but....

This warning should go for all corals. Precautions should be taken to protect yourself. And always always kid proof/animal proof what you are up to.

Guest Rileyporter

Is having an uncontrollable urge to drink beer one of the side affects to the poison? Because.. if so... guilty..

My foot still hurts like HE11.

\ always always kid proof/animal proof what you are up to.

Yes. I don't let my toddler or my dogs eat corals or play with "fish towels" or defrosted frozen seafood mush . .

All things considered though, I believe (1) 30 Amps of electricity and bundles of wires in close proximity to approx 200 G saltwater; and (2) 1500 pounds of water, sand & rock incased in 1/2 in glass sitting 2 1/2 feet off the floor on a homemade stand in my living room, are both much greater threats to my children than anything living IN my tanks.

I will also say though, that it never ocurred to me to wash my hands AFTER working on my tank before my son was born, but I do so religiously now. Some things you just don't want to find out the hard way, and learning that I have one of the rare toxic types of palythoa sp. in my tank is one of them.

Is having an uncontrollable urge to drink beer one of the side affects to the poison? Because.. if so... guilty..

My foot still hurts like HE11.

The member with the "experience" spoke up. Once again I'm glad you are doing well. What kind of metal did your mouth taste like?

I've gotten stung by one of my zoas...didn't hurt too much though (my arm felt a little numb .. maybe this was my imagination?)

I dont know about a sting but i have messed with them a few times and its made my hand a little numb.

its late and i am still at work give me a break.

Guest Rileyporter

Yah the only thing that happened was I got a bad metallic taste in my mouth. I have a friend whos zoa's I am holding (tank probs) anyways she must have over 30 pieces... i didnt wear gloves.. Jason, I thought that it was affecting my foot too.. but i kinda remembered that I hit it on the stairs a day before. So as of now there was about 30mins of bad taste in my mouth nothing more.

From what I read I think that the "fatal" poison from zoa's are mostly a myth. Also gathered was only some were even poisonous. not to mention the ones that have the potential to be poisonous need a diet that cannot be provided in the reef tank setup.

lil weird.. prolly will wear gloves if I move them in volume again but for the 2 second move around ehh.. dunno.

Jason: as far as the metal type.. I dunno my experience for tasting the worlds different types of metal is pretty low :)

All kidding it was like the metallic taste of blood but stronger.

I was referring to fatal mostly for infants and other small creatures one may have..own etc.

As for not all being toxic, I wholly agree.

As for not being able to take in nutrients that make them poisnous.... one must rember from on line vendors many zoos may be picked straight from the reef where they may have had time to develope those toxins